Jet Boil and Lightweight Stoves - Are they Hazardous?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Jet Boil and Lightweight Stoves - Are they Hazardous?

Post by rightstar76 »

We've been using a CampingGaz Turbo 270 stove for years but are tired of how long it takes to boil water. So we bought a Jet Boil, but after we read the instructions got a little afraid because of all the warnings about explosions, etc. We are thinking about returning it. Is it as dangerous a stove to use as the directions make it out to be? I was wondering what other people have experienced with these lighter weight stoves.
Baffman
Topix Regular

Post by Baffman »

I started using a Jetboil this year. I love it and don't see why it would be any more dangerous than others. My last stove worked well, but it was fire hazard for sure if you didn't know what you were doing. Why exactly is the Jetboil supposed to be dangerous?

Baffman
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Ridgeline and Trailbud both use the jetboil, maybe they know something?
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trail Bud
Topix Acquainted

Re: Jet Boil and Lightweight Stoves - Are they Hazardous?

Post by Trail Bud »

rightstar76 wrote:We've been using a CampingGaz Turbo 270 stove for years but are tired of how long it takes to boil water. So we bought a Jet Boil, but after we read the instructions got a little afraid because of all the warnings about explosions, etc. We are thinking about returning it. Is it as dangerous a stove to use as the directions make it out to be? I was wondering what other people have experienced with these lighter weight stoves.
Don't let the labeling scare you. I use the jet boil all of the time. I've never had any problems. I use it in the desert to snow campinga and at attitude. I highly recomend it. I have also have freinds that use them and never had any problems either. I use it for boiling water only. They have some new attachements for making it a convenmtional stove too (which I own), but I have no experience with them yet.
Any questions let me know.
Take care.
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

I didnt know they were supposed to be dangerous. I have used one for a few years, works great, boils fast, great at altitude and freezing conditions, at around 12000' sitting on snow/ice all night it fired right up in the morning, love it.
tory8411
Topix Acquainted

Jetboil "Modified"

Post by tory8411 »

I have used a jetboil for the last several years but we have modified it a bit. It's substantially lighter and works even quicker. Here's what we've done:
1. We took the burner assembly out of their system. (you can actually order it separately from a retailer)
2. Then, we crafted a 3/4"w x 1"h cylinder out of aluminum pipe and drilled a couple holes for venthilation(this helps support the next step).
3. We use a snowpeak cookset with lid and cup, bought an exctra lid, drilled a hole in the middle to fit the burner through, drilled 4 holes on the outside of the main to fit screws with caps (to rest the cup/pot).
4. This creates a snug and windproof fit for our stove and pot. we can put the burner on really low and it creates a tremendous amount of heat. One small 7oz can of gigfuel lasted three guys a week cooking water for breakfast and dinner with some left over.
It all fits neatly within itself and has saved us a lot of ounces with an even more efficient stove.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

I bought the JetBoil and tried it out yesterday. After the water started boiling, I turned off the stove and took the cooking cup off and put the plastic cup under the cooking cup. Then I proceeded to secure the lid. It was loose just like the instructions called for. As I was pressing it down to secure it, I felt a burning sensation and pulled my hand away. Luckily, I did it in time so I didn't get burned. Nevertheless, I was less than happy and returned it to REI. For the time being, I am going to stick with my CampingGaz Turbo 270. Incidentally, the JetBoil website has some nifty recipes. I am going to try some of them.
don norton
Topix Acquainted

Post by don norton »

rightstar76 wrote:I bought the JetBoil and tried it out yesterday. After the water started boiling, I turned off the stove and took the cooking cup off and put the plastic cup under the cooking cup. Then I proceeded to secure the lid. It was loose just like the instructions called for. As I was pressing it down to secure it, I felt a burning sensation and pulled my hand away. Luckily, I did it in time so I didn't get burned. Nevertheless, I was less than happy and returned it to REI. For the time being, I am going to stick with my CampingGaz Turbo 270. Incidentally, the JetBoil website has some nifty recipes. I am going to try some of them.
Where on the web site did you find the recipes?