Any suggestions for campgrounds near Bishop or Mammoth area?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
huts

Post by huts »

I don't really have anything to add. My favorite "stealth" camping spots are already listed. I sleep in the camper on the truck and I try my best to avoid Forest Service campgrounds. One time we had a couple in a trailer run an external generator for five hours in the evening. You could see the blue glow of a television. They cranked the generator up again before 8 am the next morning so we packed up and left. The next campground someone fired up a generator and the camp "host" had the balls to come to our campsite to say that I was singing too loud..........
HELP PRESERVE PEACE AND QUIET. BLOW UP A GENERATOR TODAY!
Sorry for the hijack.......
TonyC
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by TonyC »

Snow Nymph wrote:Forgot to mention, to get to Long Valley, take the Benton Crossing Road (green church on the corner), and drive .7 mi. Turn N on the dirt road, and from there you can take any side road and find places to camp.
Hey thanks for this idea and I camped there on Saturday night.. I LOVED being right in the middle of the valley with the Sierra on one side and the White mtns on the other and the BIG sky above me.

I was a bit confused with what was a "proper" camping area...some of the dirt roads seemed to go off in the hills and others were shorter, with obvious camping areas surrounded by rocks.

I stayed at what I think was the first one on the right, which had a big circle, and then some more sites farther back...I thought it was a dead end back there, but maybe the road went on?

I arrived about 6pm and there were already two cars in the area farther back...so I parked at the big circle fairly close to the road. About an hour later a big RV came and parked close to me, which was annoying, but at least they were quiet. However, they stayed an hour and then drove further down the road, where I thought it was a dead end and disappeared, so maybe that road goes on.

Anyway, I took about a hundred photos at sunset and just loved camping there. Then the next morning, I drove all the way down 395 and back to Vegas for my flight home the next day. It was a great end to my first Sierra trip. :)
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

I always drove away from the main road, and never had 'neighbors'. Most people out there keep driving, unless there's a hot spring. Maybe you were by the hotsprings? There's 7 in the area.

Glad you enjoyed it! We had a lot of great weekends out there, especially during ski season! (((||)))
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;