Am I embarrassed!

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Am I embarrassed!

Post by oldranger »

So kathy and I decided to do a hike/walk on BLM land with a complex trail system primarily designed for mountain bikers. I expected to be able to download a map from the BLM website and print it. But no I had to download a free app (avenza maps) to my iPhone then find the map and down load it (free). The embarrassing part was that when I got to each intersection I had to pull out the iphone and open the app to decide what direction we should take to get the right amount of distance we wanted to go. To add insult to injury ( pulling out an iPhone to determine my location just seems wrong) the damn app assumes I'm so stupid that I can't figure out where I am so it actually shows me where I am on the map thru the gps function of the phone. that just doesn't seem right to me. Anyhow it was a nice walk on a chilly day and we encountered a few other hikers and a bunch of nice mountain bikers and had some great views into the Deschutes River Canyon roughly between Bend and Redmond. Not wilderness at all with power lines and trophy homes in view on occasion.
deschutes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Am I embarrassed!

Post by rlown »

I don't think you should be embarrassed other than owning an iPhone. :)
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Nice humblebrag :)

"I'm so good with a map & compass that I'm embarrassed to be using such a beginner friendly navigation method." :D

In other news, I love visiting Bend. Getting up there when the Summit Express lift is running on Mt Bachelor is on my to-do list.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

Being an oldranger earns you bragging rights. :-)
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

rlown wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:03 am I don't think you should be embarrassed other than owning an iPhone. :)
Kathy made me do it! She like the quality of the screen plus works seamlessly with iPad and iMac.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

c9h13no3 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:37 am Nice humblebrag :)

"I'm so good with a map & compass that I'm embarrassed to be using such a beginner friendly navigation method." :D

In other news, I love visiting Bend. Getting up there when the Summit Express lift is running on Mt Bachelor is on my to-do list.
Skied 3 full seasons at Mammoth 100+ days each season 4 seasons on Pro Patrol at Bachelor. Bachelor is nice intermediate hill and if there is more than a foot of pow 95% of the ungroomed mt is unskiable. Mammoth on the other hand has lots of terrain that is skiable in 2 to 3 feet of pow. Once hiked Lincoln with about 8 others and skied Shaft, stopped mid run and the snow was chest deep! Never happen at Bachelor.

Oh I never use a compass, could if I needed to just never had to except for practice.
Mike

oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Not bragging just honestly embarrassed to use a smartphone that I resisted purchasing until my flipphone became obsolete. The Iphone X does remarkably well when taking pics where HDR is needed. But I'm not planning on taking it on future backpacking trips would much prefer dedicated camera that has larger sensor and good HDR capabilities with me having to do post processing.
Mike

c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

oldranger wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:18 pm Skied 3 full seasons at Mammoth 100+ days each season 4 seasons on Pro Patrol at Bachelor. Bachelor is nice intermediate hill and if there is more than a foot of pow 95% of the ungroomed mt is unskiable. Mammoth on the other hand has lots of terrain that is skiable in 2 to 3 feet of pow. Once hiked Lincoln with about 8 others and skied Shaft, stopped mid run and the snow was chest deep! Never happen at Bachelor.
Feet of pow are rare, my ski seasons are typically 15-20 days, so I might get one per year if I'm lucky. I really enjoyed the terrain off the West Bowl area, and all the crazy high winds on Bachelor made really cool snow drifts that were fun to ski over. Seemed like you could ski anywhere you wanted, and you'd never end up trapped in scrub aspens or willows.

Never skied at Mammoth. Tahoe's just so much closer. Maybe if I get an Icon Pass this year...
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.