Osprey Atmos 65

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Trekker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Osprey Atmos 65

Post by Trekker »

I used my new Osprey Atmos 65 on my backpack to the Cottonwood Lakes and wanted to give some feedback on its performance. One thing I really appreciated with this pack, especially considering how warm it was when I went, was the spacing between the mesh and the pack body itself; this is the first time I have not had an issue with the back of my shirt being sopping wet, except for what would be expected in that weather if you didn't have a pack on. Don't be fooled by the apparently thin shoulder straps; they offer more comfort than they appear to at first; I had about a 40 lb pack and had no probs. The hip belt is well designed as well, and comfortable. I like pockets; I'm not much for minimalist packs, and the Osprey has lots of pockets; actually more than I could use-need to learn to put some of my other stuff in them instead of the main pack. Lots of options. By the way, I put a pair of flip flops in the space between the back netting and the main pakcbag; you can also hang your water bladder in there instead of in the pack.

I had only 2 issues with the pack. One was how to attach the bear canister. Forget about putting the canister in the pack itself; I don't do that anyway, but if you're thinking about it, don't-it won't fit(sorry Snowy!). Strapping it to the outside is also problematic; at least to me, there wasn't any intuitive way to strap one on. I finally used a bungee cord to get a relatively secure setup. By the way, why do I get the feeling that there are a lot of people out there dodging the bear canister requirements?

The second issue was the mesh pockets on either side. What the heck were they designed for? If you're thinking they are for water bottles, not gonna happen, not even close! I could barely stuff some clothing articles in them, and maybe some trailmix etc. They don't expand. Not the greatest design, if you ask me.

Overall, I would have to say that I am really happy with the purchase, and plan to use it on many of my trips. It is easily good for a 5-6 day trip. :nod:
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Like you said, I like the mesh space on the back of my Osprey Stratos because I don't get as wet like other packs. What a great design! The other thing I like about the Stratos (same design as the Atmos, I think), is that my pack doesn't feel as heavy when its on my back, as it does when I lift it with my hand. I would like to get the Atmos for backpacking for that reason, but the bear canister would be a problem (unless I give it to SnowDude . :unibrow: )
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;