Lyell Glacier - listen and question for group

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Lyell Glacier - listen and question for group

Post by davidsheridan »

Before my dad died, he told me to go see the glaciers before they are gone.

This article/audio podcast reminded me of that advice...

For those interested... My suggestion is..
1) to listen to the audio on this podcast
2) share your story about how best to experience the Lyell Glacier or any information or story related to the Lyell Glacier

https://www.kqed.org/news/11738421/watc ... lacier-die

Thanks for you time and sharing your history and thoughts
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lyell Glacier - listen and question for group

Post by wildhiker »

I don't listen to podcasts (information density is too low - a transcript can usually be read in 1/10th the time - unfortunately, none is provided in this case), but I can confirm that the Lyell Glacier is shrinking right before our eyes! I've had good views of it from trips to the headwaters of Kuna Creek in August of 1992, 2000, 2007, and 2014. Every year it was smaller. Seems like it was only half the size in 2014 that it was in 1992.

Easiest way to get up close is to take the John Muir Trail south from Tuolumne Meadows to the tarn just below Mt Lyell about a mile before Donohue Pass. Then walk up the open valley behind the tarn up to the glacier.

If you really want to see glaciers, go to Alaska.

-Phil
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Lyell Glacier - listen and question for group

Post by kpeter »

Palisade Glacier is also in terrible shape, a tiny fraction in fact of what is indicated on the USGS 7.5.
IMGP3236 edited with markers.jpg
I also visited the Athabasca ice fields as a 14 year old and returned to see it as a 54 year old. They post signs each year at its furthest extent. I had to walk a very long ways to cover the ground between its toe when I was 14 to reach its edge 40 years later. That long walk has stuck deeply in my mind.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.