TR: Kings-Kern Divide Area, September 2018

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
xiainx
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR: Kings-Kern Divide Area, September 2018

Post by xiainx »

https://www.iain-macdonald.com/kings-ke ... rip-report

Hi all, I wanted to share a trip report that I wrote covering a trip to the Kings-Kern divide area from September of last year. We entered over Kearsarge Pass, visited Rae Lakes and the Sixty Lakes Basin, then moved to Lake Reflection, the Upper Kern Basin, and climbed Mount Tyndall before exiting at Shepherd Pass. Fantastic weather and a slower-than-usual pace made for a very fun trip. Hope you enjoy!
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Kings-Kern Divide Area, September 2018

Post by AaronRDavis »

Excellent report. I thoroughly enjoyed your nice photos of these areas. You also gave me a little more confidence about giving Milly's Foot Pass a shot.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

Great photos and dialog. Thanks for posting.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Great photos! I agree Tyndall's North rib is such an awesome scramble.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by davidsheridan »

Phenomenal Report. Great route and great details for future adventurers. Beautiful pictures. I especially liked the bench you stopped at in the upper Kern with views of the great Western divide. Thanks
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Great photos! I love end of season trips when I am totally acclimated and in top shape. I have also done the climb of Tyndall and it is one of my favorite. The upper Kern is worth several days to explore- perhaps you can do that on another trip. The east upper drainage of Gardiner Basin is also more spectacular than 60 Lakes. There are some nice side cirques west of the main drainage in 60 Lakes that are worthwhile seeing. Thanks for the photos of Lucy's Footpath. I always wondered about it. A longer but more scenic route out from Lucy's is to drop to the lake below Mt Jordan, and then to Casper Lake, and take the cross-trail back to the Shepherd pass trail. Or from the lake below Jorden you can also traverse to the trail up the Kern. Beautiful little lakes and ponds along that way. I never thought to hitch/walk from the Shephard Pass trailhead to Onion Valley. Sounds like it works pretty well.
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

great report!
i'm slowly working my way through the wrhr one as well :)
calarn
Topix Novice

Post by calarn »

Great trip report and awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing.
dbogey
Topix Acquainted

Post by dbogey »

Great report and beautiful pics. I'm on the edge of what camera I bring for my trip into the Kern area. Either my small point and shoot or the full frame Nikon..hmmm?

My daughter and I will be exploring the Upper Kern in 127 days and counting :) Looks like the climb up Tyndal will be on our to-do list
Just another day in paradise