Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Food allergy - Nausea on the trail - Must Read!

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

You are basically asking us to diagnose you. Do it the right way. Doctor.
Then tell us what they find.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

There must be a bazillion things that could cause this. You know, I led Sierra Club trips for twenty years, so I've seen a lot of backpackers, skiers, and mountaineers who had similar problems. In about 80% of the cases, we had no doctor around so I simply treated them for anxiety with a Dramamine.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

rightstar76 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:38 pm Nobody is asking you to play doctor, Longri. It's a discussion board. 🙄

I know that. I said *if* I were a doctor or played one.

And of course, we are discussing your problem. Or trying to. But it's hard to figure something like this out without all of the facts. And you were withholding some of them for some reason. Why wouldn't you start off by explaining all the things that cause this problem?

We might be able to figure it out. But we'd have to get you to do some experiments. And we might need to draw some blood and send it off. Wait, maybe what you really need is a doctor!
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Once about ten years go, I complained to my doctor about my stomach acid reflux, so he recommended an OTC acid reducer. I had been taking that for nine years, and the acid problem was getting worse, so I complained to my doctor again. He said to simply stop taking it. I did, and after one week the whole problem went away. Some drugs like that are very helpful for a short period, but they are not intended for long-term use.
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

I’ll second Longri’s point about needing to see a doctor (and maybe more than one).
I had an issue (for years) with periodic difficulty swallowing - food would lodge in my esophagus - some types way more than others. My family doc referred me to a Ear/Nose/Throat guy; did a “barium swallow” test (with X-ray), revealing nothing. Lots of “helpful” suggestions from family & friends - “chew your food more” , “take a drink of water”, etc. Gee, why didn’t I think of that ! #-o
Years later, I mentioned this to a G/I doc (who had just done my colonoscopy). HE scoped & biopsied my esophagus, and (along with my Allergist) gave the correct diagnosis - EOE (Eosinophilic Esophagitis) - easily treated with a steroidal inhaler (not “cured”, but symptoms reduced 80 - 90%).

Sorry for the long story; just pointing out that persistence (on YOUR part) is key in solving lots of medical “puzzles”. Also consider that problems which manifest when eating certain foods may have nothing to do with food allergies; get TESTED, rather than self-diagnose.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

grampy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:14 pm I’ll second Longri’s point about needing to see a doctor (and maybe more than one).
I had an issue (for years) with periodic difficulty swallowing - food would lodge in my esophagus - some types way more than others. My family doc referred me to a Ear/Nose/Throat guy; did a “barium swallow” test (with X-ray), revealing nothing. Lots of “helpful” suggestions from family & friends - “chew your food more” , “take a drink of water”, etc. Gee, why didn’t I think of that ! #-o
Years later, I mentioned this to a G/I doc (who had just done my colonoscopy). HE scoped & biopsied my esophagus, and (along with my Allergist) gave the correct diagnosis - EOE (Eosinophilic Esophagitis) - easily treated with a steroidal inhaler (not “cured”, but symptoms reduced 80 - 90%).

Sorry for the long story; just pointing out that persistence (on YOUR part) is key in solving lots of medical “puzzles”. Also consider that problems which manifest when eating certain foods may have nothing to do with food allergies; get TESTED, rather than self-diagnose.

G/I doc (who had just done my colonoscopy). HE scoped & biopsied my esophagus
Need to bring some humor into this. HOPEFULLY didn't do it with the same equipment! :lol:
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Sorry if I offended you, but I stand by what I said. I meant nothing evil about the blood comment, just that blood tests might very likely be part of doing a diagnosis. You left out some very important information and despite asking you about it twice you still haven't explained why. I won't ask again. The lack of an answer is in itself a kind of answer.

This has been a discussion but not just about your professed problem. That's the nature of discussions, particularly on internet forums. This place is actually incredibly civil.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

grampy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:14 pmSorry for the long story...

That was actually very interesting. I had never heard of that condition before. There is a physician who writes a column for the NY Times called "Diagnosis" that comes out a couple of times a month. It's about odd medical cases where solving the puzzle doesn't come easily. She wrote a book that is a collection of these kind of stories. It's a great read.