Lake Basin vs. Bear Lakes/Royce

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lake Basin vs. Bear Lakes/Royce

Post by CAMERONM »

I believe that most shuttle drivers will not take you very far up to Taboose, even the ones with 4WDs.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

I have done both trips and would add comments to what others have said. Both are great areas.
I posted both of my trip reports, one in the backpack section and one in the fishing section.

I call the upper Bear Creek area one of my two favorite areas in the Sierra. (the other being the upper Kern.) Somehow the view of Seven Gables never ceases to amaze, especially over a lake... (most any but my favorite is Vee lake). So, in terms of scenery, I would rate this area higher.

At the same time, when asked about my favorite backpack trips I have ever done, somehow Dumbbell Lakes comes to mind. I have been there twice, once in the 70's and a return trip a couple of years ago. For some reason, I have always found this area special. I honestly am not sure why. It does feel more isolated. I found Lake Basin not as spectacular as one of the mosts mention, but very delightful.

Agree with some comments though.
Up Pine Creek is medium difficulty, but over Taboose is hard. The passes are harder to me in general if you do Taboose/Cartridge. Agree this year the cornice over the pass between Dumbbell and Amphitheater may be very difficult. I had some challenge end of July in a medium year. And lastly, agree camp at Marion Lake..one of the top 10 lakes in the Sierra..
Mocs123
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Mocs123 »

I am planning a trip that passes through Bear Lake Basin this August. My route is below in Caltopo. I would love to hear some options and get some input on it. If I should post a new thread let me know.

https://caltopo.com/m/FPSH
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

If I should post a new thread let me know.
Yes, please do. Thanks

Welcome to HST! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Here are two trip reports that have photos of the Lake Basin:
http://www.sierrahiker.com/HighRoutePartI/index.html
http://www.sierrahiker.com/DumbbellLakes/index.html

... and here is is one for the Bear Lakes area:
http://www.sierrahiker.com/BearLakes/index.html
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by mokelumnekid »

Coming in late on this but having been over/into both multiple times, I treasure my times in Lake Basin more than the other. I just like the intimate gardens and little surprises of Lake Basin, the odd sight lines, the hop over the hill to day hike Dumbbell Lakes, the challenge of that first big day- we usually go over Taboose (starting in the dark) all the way to the foot of Cartridge Pass and camp by the river. Cartridge is a fun puzzle that seems to be a kind of gated mystery 'entry' to the expanse of Lakes Basin. Bench Lake is okay but often buggy, not super high on my list but the scramble of Arrow is fun. Lakes Basin seems more strenuous, remote and magical. Your mileage will vary :-)
bgdfcg
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bgdfcg »

I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to all the folks who weighed in with info, suggestions, etc. We were hoping to go last year but with CV, plans got pushed back to 2021. We decided to do the Granite/Bear/Royce option and just came out on 9-2 (Inyo closed while we were in there). Absolutely great trip. Perfect weather, almost no smoke haze, and spectacular scenery. Got over Dancing Bear (to Black Bear for night #2) with no trouble but Wife stresses about everything and she must have read something about Feather. So instead of a third night at Vee, we got to Merriam a day early to ease her worries. Wandered up to L Lake in the French Basin which was prettier than I was expecting. Nice counter to Royce the next night. Anyhow, not trying to turn this into a Trip Report, just a sincere Thanks! Your collective info helped us plan one of our most enjoyable and memorable BP trips.

bg