Boots/shoes for narrow feet

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Mocs123
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Boots/shoes for narrow feet

Post by Mocs123 »

I do suggest the move to trail runners. I was a longtime leather lined boot user, but I tried a pair of trail runners 12 years ago and never looked back. They are so much more comfortable over long days. I strongly suggest non waterproof shoes that drain and dry quickly.

For narrow feet (like mine) I have found La Sportiva and Salomon to both be fairly narrow. I suggest trying the La Sportiva Bushido or Ultra Raptor (what I use) or Salomon XA Pro 3D's.

Good Luck!
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I have a narrow foot but also need toe room. I'm on my 2nd pair of Vasque Breese GTX 2.0. They have done quite well. I'm hoping that version III fit the same as mine will certainly be done at the end of this season.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Well, I thought I would circle back and report on my solution.

The front of my feet are of normal width, the heels are very narrow. My podiatrist recommend Altra shoes since they have a wide toebox. Altra men's would be far too wide, but Altra women's are narrow enough in the heel for me and the wide toe box makes them fit in front.

I normally wear men's 9 1/2 so this required women's 11 1/2. Many stores do not stock women's 11 1/2 sizes--they go half sizes to 11 and then jump to 12. REI does that, for example. But manufacturers like Altra do make 11 1/2 sizes and I ordered directly from them.

The only boot-like shoe Altra makes is this one:

https://www.altrarunning.com/shop/women ... tionId=666

It is basically a glorified high top tennis shoe, but it fits, which is more than I can say for every hiking boot I have worn for the last 50 years. It has 0 heel, which took me a little getting used to, and the tread is not deep. It is waterproof and has reasonable ankle support for me--I need to protect my ankle after recent surgery. As with any light shoe, after a year of hard use it is showing signs of wear. It isn't a leather mountaineering boot that will last 10 years. But given my issues, it is a godsend, and I will forgive its defects.
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Silky Smooth »

I would recommend La sportiva shoes for you. Depending on the "last" they have some models that total fit the bill for you. I would recommend the ultra raptor for your style of feet. Also call them @ LA SPORTIVA N.A., INC. 720-697-5756.

I've picked their brains numerous times and they really know their shoes and products. La sportiva makes great mtn runners and hikers, I can't recommend them enough.

My lady has feet like yours and she likes the raptors and mutant's. I like the raptor, bushido & tx3 for sierra adventures. The new high top raptor looks really good too.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Silky Smooth wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:05 pm I would recommend La sportiva shoes for you. Depending on the "last" they have some models that total fit the bill for you. I would recommend the ultra raptor for your style of feet. Also call them @ LA SPORTIVA N.A., INC. 720-697-5756.

I've picked their brains numerous times and they really know their shoes and products. La sportiva makes great mtn runners and hikers, I can't recommend them enough.

My lady has feet like yours and she likes the raptors and mutant's. I like the raptor, bushido & tx3 for sierra adventures. The new high top raptor looks really good too.
Thanks for the tip, SIlky. Sadly, La Sportiva does not appear to carry women's sizes above 43, equivalent to a size 11, and in many lines they go up only to a 42. I've owned women's 11s before and they always result in bruised toenails and heel blisters--I would need a 44 probably to be equivalent to an 11.5.
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Silky Smooth »

You could try the mens, some models run really narrow and have a tight heel. I am a 44 as well, inventory/logistics issues, la sportiva is out of stock on a lot of models in our size.