Overdue/Missing Backpacker Palisade region of Kings Canyon

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Skibum
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Overdue/Missing Backpacker Palisade region of Kings Canyon

Post by Skibum »

Greetings Friends,

We (NPS and Inyo Co. SAR) are in the initial stages of a major search and rescue operation in the Palisade region of Kings Canyon NP and the John Muir Wilderness. The following information is the individual's description and trip itinerary. If you, or if you know of anyone that has traveled in this area between 7/30/07 - 8/6/07 and may have information concerning this overdue backpacker, please notify Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park Dispatch.

SEKI Dispatch 559 565-3341.

Overdue Backpacker: Hiep (Henry) Nguyen. 39 year old Asian male from Garden Grove, CA. Black hair, Black eyes, Height - 5' 09, Weight, 125 (thin build).

Clothing/Equipment Description: Very little. Possibly green jacket, possibly white broad bill ball cap. No tent, Black pack....

Itinerary: Left the Birch Creek trailhead on 7/30/07 to Birch Lake, climb Birch Mt., possibly Tinemaha Peak. To Lane Pass-Disapointment Peak, to Balcony Peak. Cirque Pass to Knapsack Pass, climb Columbine Peak. Onto Giraud Peak to Isoscoles Pass and possibly Isoscoles Peak. Winchell Col to Agassiz Col to Bishop Pass and Jigsaw Pass. Climb Aperture Peak, Gendarme Peak, Picture Puzzle Peak. Contact Pass to Scimitar Pass, Palisade Crest (Pos. NW ridge) to Mt. Jepson to Chimney Pass. Back to Birch Creek trailhead. Exit Date of 08/06/07

Subject's vehicle as of 08/15/07 still parked at the Birch Creek trailhead.

Any information that could assist in this search is greatly appreciated.

SEKI Dispatch. 559 565-3341
Inyo Co. Sheriff Dept. 760 878-0323

Thanks all,

Jim Gould
Ranger, Sequoia and kings Canyon NP.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

the Sierra Challenge was going on at this time including peaks in the area - Rick Kent is an avid picture taker during his hikes - it may be helpful looking at his summit register pictures to see if Mr. Nguyen has signed into peaks incl Cardinal, Picture Puzzle, Gendarme and poss others

God speed with finding and bringing hi9m home or closure to his family
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

My goodness. That missing fellow is a well known peak bagger. I'm don't even climb anymore and I've heard of him.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
langenbacher
Topix Acquainted

Post by langenbacher »

The rangers were looking for information on summit registers in that area. My information is that all the peaks on Henry's list should have summit registers except Balcony and Columbine, and that there may be a register at Jigsaw Pass. I have passed this on to Ranger Dave Hansen, who requested it from me, but if you have any updates please let them know by calling SEKI dispatch, (559) 565-3195 or 559 565-3341.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

I was on Jigsaw Pass and Gendarme Tues 8/6, and don't remember seeing his name on either register. I took pix of the register pages, but won't have access to my computer til Friday. (moving again) I'll check as soon as I'm hooked up.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Sad news, they found Henry Nguyen deceased. My prayers go out for the family.
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Very sorry to hear the sad news. My condolences to the family.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Here is a pic of the SAR helo. I was up at Barrett on the 16th and Dusy
on the 17th.
They were flying in and out all day, I went over Iso Pass and over on to the highest lake in Dusy where got to within 50 feet of the helo before it took off and it did not return after that.
I didnt find out about what really happened till next day from another
backpacker while going over Bishop Pass.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

A few years back while out on a ski tour near 1000 Island Lake, as I was climbing up a steep incline, I stopped and heard the faint gasping for air of another person. As I waited, along came a fellow following my ski tracks. He introduced himself as 'Hiep' and we ended up pairing up together for much of the day touring along the San Joaquin Ridge. It was obvious in the brief time talking to him he had such a passion for exploring the outdoors. A year later I met the same person again backcountry skiing out of Onion Valley, where we had an amazing ski run down to Onion Valley and I gave him a lift down to Independence after he was in the backcountry for a week - and already ready to leave to do the Sierra High Route ski tour. Given the name and description, I believe this person who I had the pleasure of meeting twice was the same.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends. Having just talked to Hiep twice, I believe he passed away doing exactly what he wanted to do and exactly where he wanted to be.
Last edited by copeg on Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Ya know, Greg... this was a subject that came up on my last backpacking trip and the search was being conducted for the 80+ year old woman in Yosemite. There was a comment made about people coming up to the mountains who, either consciously or un-consciously, know that their time is short and make a choice to leave this world in a place they love. I've often wondered about that when reading reports of people missing/dying in the mountains.

When it's our time to go... it's our time to go. Not wishing this to be any time soon, I can't think of place for a more peaceful departure from this lifetime than these beautiful montains.