Ursack Approved!

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Moondust
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

SEKI rangers confused by Ursacks

Post by Moondust »

Our party picked up a permit at Lodgepole last Friday. The ranger wrote several rules on the permit. One said "Ursack no longer approved". I, a proud owner of the Ursack TKO hybrid, did not see the permit until we were already camped the next day. Needless to say, I was somewhat upset. I wrote to Ursack as soon as I returned, and indeed, the ranger was mistaken. Tom from Ursack contacted one of the head SEKI people, who sent an email to the wilderness permit people asking them to clarify this point with the permit issuing staff.

So don't anyone panic if a ranger writes something like that on your permit. The Ursack Hybrid is still conditionally approved.
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Why do I get the feeling the rangers don't like the Ursack?
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

They don't like them from past experience. Plain and simple. I think people were not closing the Ursack properly to eliminate the hole and from what the FS ranger told me, bears would then pull food out of the canister bit by bit. They said they could follow a paper trail to where the balance of the canister was at. I had to educate the Ranger lady I ran across on my recent trip in the Mammoth area. She thought it still had to be hung.
Piece of cake.
KathyW

Ursack

Post by KathyW »

It looks like the Ursack got tentative approval again, but not the ones with the spectra fabric. I am a little upset that they aren't giving a discount to those who purchased the Vectran bags that are no longer approved:

http://www.ursack.com/ursack-update.htm

I wrote to Tom at Ursack to ask about trading in my unapproved one, and he responded:
We have not figured out what to do yet, because there is no
> final decision by SIBBG.
>
> Our web site has always said that we have no control over
> ranger approval--so we don't provide a refund on that basis
> alone. Even if the S29 is approved for this summer, there is
> no guarantee that it will stay approved. Believe me, we hate
> this situation more than you do.
>
> We absolutely stand behind our warranty, and will refund or
> replace any properly used Ursack from which a wild animal gets food.
>
> In any event, until we get more answers from SIBBG I can't
> answer the question. We are considering a trade in program
> for those who bought the hybrid. We would charge wholesale
> for the S29 ($42) plus shipping. It may be that many folks
> would rather keep the Vectran bag for overflow and simply
> purchase a S29 and put the old liner in it.
>
> Also, it may depend on when you bought your Ursack. If it
> was after Auguist 18, it is probably a V27, which so far has
> a perfect record. The problem is that SIBBG may refuse to
> test it. Stay tuned.
>
> tom
Sounds like he is being pretty fair about the situation. I did get a season of use out of the bag that is no longer approved and I knew it was a conditional approval when I bought it.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

The Ursack S29 Hybrid has been approved since at least last year. What is not yet approved is the 27.5% stronger Vectran V27 bags, which so far the Sierra Interagency Black Bear Group (SIBBG) has been dragging their feet about testing and has no plans to test. The military took all the Spectra (S29) fabric for war so Ursack has been forced to use the Vectran for the last two years. See how that works?: SIGG (reluctantly) approved the S29 Hybrid which currently cannot be manufactured while so far refusing to test the stronger Vectran V27 bags. Just more tap dancing by SIBBG and the park services to keep from approving the Ursack, which has more than proved its ability to safeguard food. Could there be some special interests at work behind the scenes as there have been rumored to be?

See:
http://www.ursack.com/ursack-update.htm
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
munmile
Topix Newbie

Post by munmile »

I used a new S29 Hybrid Ursack last week in the Yosemite Backcountry.
I closed it as tight as I thought possible, secured the cord with a figure-eight
and then butted the business end of the S29 to the middle of an eight inch fallen log by tying another figure-eight around the log. Unfortunatley, there was enough of a gap at the top of the sack to allow a small mouse to nibble on my fig newtons. I think I will start to use the lid of my open country pot inside the sack as a shield against very small intruders. An alternative might be to keep a layer of trash on top of the food inside the S29.
Perhaps adding a small flap of spectra to the inside of the sack, like the dust flaps on tent bags would work as well.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

[quote="munmile"]I closed it as tight as I thought possible, secured the cord with a figure-eight...quote]

I always pull it tightly closed, tie a simple knot next to the opening, then put the cables around a small tree and tie. (Or sleep with it :^)I have had not so much as a nibble that I can see in all of the years I have used Ursacks. I was way out there in the Yosemite back-country a month ago. Could be with an early spring and dry summer, the critters are getting more bold to secure food. Fig Newtons must be protected at all costs.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

munmile wrote:I used a new S29 Hybrid Ursack last week in the Yosemite Backcountry.
I closed it as tight as I thought possible, secured the cord with a figure-eight
and then butted the business end of the S29 to the middle of an eight inch fallen log by tying another figure-eight around the log. Unfortunatley, there was enough of a gap at the top of the sack to allow a small mouse to nibble on my fig newtons. I think I will start to use the lid of my open country pot inside the sack as a shield against very small intruders. An alternative might be to keep a layer of trash on top of the food inside the S29.
Perhaps adding a small flap of spectra to the inside of the sack, like the dust flaps on tent bags would work as well.
Your pot lid should work well. I have considered using a roundish, flat rock as well ( since I don't have a pot lid).
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

My wife and I are not very good with knots. We are having some problems figuring out how to tie them on the Ursack S29. We've looked at the Ursack website and are still not sure. Could somebody post a picture or two of one with the tie over knot and figure 8 knot? It would help a lot. Thanks.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

rightstar76 wrote:My wife and I are not very good with knots.
The cable chords of the Ursack are so stiff and sturdy, a simple over and around knot will do fine. You don't want anything too complex to undo.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails: