Dog packing equipment

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Dog packing equipment

Post by bobby49 »

Right now Lucy sticks to me like glue. She doesn't like to be more than five feet away. However, she spent her entire life on a dog ranch, so she has no idea about all the things to sniff out there in the mountains. The current plan is to keep her on-leash for a while until I see how much I can trust her. I've read the dog training book twice, and I've tried to get her to do things, but she is rather resistant. I will get a good SIT out of her only once in a while, and that is only using a dog meatball treat. Oh, well, it's a start.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

What is the consensus for the best dog booties? Assume a border collie on rocky summer trails, not snow.

It seems like everybody who gets the cheapest ones is universally sorry, but paw fit is very important.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

what size is Lucy's paw?
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

At first glance, her front paws are about 2.2 inches across, and the back paws are only 1.8 inches. That uses the Ruffwear paw sizing method.

Surely the paw size doesn't dictate a brand or model.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It helps you with the fit you expect. Pick a bootie with an adjustable cinch. My Kurgos have two. One velcro and the other a cinch.
Make sure the size is right for the front. That is where most of the weight is carried.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Yes, but this is a female dog. She might be looking more for some stiletto heels.

Ruffwear and Kurgo seem to be the two leading brands. Any other opinions from dog people?