Rae Lakes Loop Paradise Valley Bridge

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Rae Lakes Loop Paradise Valley Bridge

Post by bobby49 »

I'm sorry that you are unable to read properly and misquoting me again, so you have been reported to the forum. Clear now?
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

FYP is pretty common on internet message boards and I really see nothing wrong with it. However, I would ask that you all drop the sternum poking and stay on topic. Please and thank you.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

That’s odd that replacing the bridge is such a low priority since some numbers show that the Rae Lakes loop is the most popular backpacking trail in the Sierra. Of course they may need a multi-year environmental impact study before installing a foot bridge :rolleyes:

I vote 2 zip lines, one in each direction, to replace every trail bridge everywhere.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Adding a bridge in the wilderness is not taken lightly. That bridge is pretty new- for many years there was no bridge. When a bridge washes out they have to consider if it is in an appropriate location. Putting it up and then having it wash out again is not an answer. Decisions are not made simply to make it easier for early season Rae Lakes Loop hikers. The hikers are not stuck; they simply have to turn around and go back via Bubbs Creek. The PCT/JMT probably DOES have higher priority and may be more necessary given the current in the creek, and it is not as easy to turn around if that bridge is out.

In the 1997-8 floods, the bridge across Return Creek was washed out in the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne. I recall it was 2-3 years before it was replaced. The National Parks are also getting reduced budgets, with increased usage, and more damage (such as big fires).

Personally, I would not care if it was rebuilt or not. Although the bridge was convenient, I do not see it as a necessity. The days it is actually needed are not that many.

Zip lines have their own set of problems. Not that easy to use either. And a zip line is still an added permanent structure in a wilderness.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:40 pm The hikers are not stuck; they simply have to turn around and go back via Bubbs Creek.
But if that is not on the wilderness permit, then they just quit.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

They just do what we always did before the bridge. 1) You do not go at peak flow or 2) you take appropriate gear and wade or find a log to cross. Perchance the flow is unexpectedly high, you turn around, permit be damned! My permit does not require me to do stupid things. The park service could simply give out in-and-out permits for the short time the river is not safe (obviously from the Bubbs start so you can actually get to Rae Lakes). Yes, they may have to reduce the number of permits for that time period. I do not see that as a bad thing.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The Parks can have different rules than the national forests but I think in this they are similar - structures do not go in easily. Zip lines are right out - this thing will be used a LOT and zip lines are far too dangerous for the kinds of people who would try to use it, and there's far too much maintenance.

After they do biological studies and send in folks to study the area for the best spot for a bridge, ie one where it is less likely to be eaten by the river, there will be paperwork -- for roadwork and other kinds of renovations in the park it can take a decade to get all the ducks in a row. And then there is the budget. When the money gets tight the first thing to go is the wilderness - anything they can afford to cut so far as safety will be cut. Granted it's Rae loop, and hella popular, which might save this particular bridge, but if it were in Cloud Canyon you could bet it would never have one again.

If the Conservancy raises money for it maybe sooner than later, but the park itself can't take donations.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

bobby49 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:56 pm You know, it would not be a stupid idea if the park service would string up a rope or chain or cable there as an overhead aid to those crossing the river, at least on a temporary basis.
Unfortunately the park service is probably liability averse. Just my opinion. It's interesting that these aids exist on the AT, probably put there by the AT trail association, not the park service.