Dog packing equipment

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Dog packing equipment

Post by rlown »

Gazelle wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:14 am I really liked wolf packs dog packs when I went with my dogs. I forget witch booties but it took me a few brands to figure out which ones actually stayed on
Wolf packs looks great! Thanks for the pointer.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey Russ,

You may have already found the perfect dog pack by now. Our advice is not to buy the "Outward Hound." At least for Bearzy, it seems to place the weight too far back. I like the look of our friend's "Roughwear" pack, which puts the weight more over the shoulders. This design seems easier on the dog's back. We wonder what choices you made on packs and booties? Good luck.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Simba's pack fits him fine. He has this little dance he does which is called his "happy dance." He jumps up stomps his front feet. When really happy, 75lbs of dog gets vertical air and off of all 4 feet. When he sees his pack, the dance begins, and after the pack is put on (with 2 full poly bottles in it), standing next to the door, He clears air again.

I went with the Wolf pack. It is a weight forward pack and he likes it. I posted a picture of the booties on the other thread. They are kurgo dog shoes, and he hates them. I only got them for emergency use, but he is still working on using them. A nice walk takes his mind off the fact that they are on the paws. He's thrown them off only once, but that was my fault when I put them on and didn't cinch properly.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Here is what we use on Lupe, our border collie. It works well and is sturdy. It stays on well. My only complaint is that it is heavy. It is NOT waterproof so she only carries stuff that can get wet because she loves to get into the water at stream crossings.
2241_Crossing_UGTLk_outlet_edited-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

It seems to me that the packs for big dogs are shaped this way, but the packs for smaller dogs are shaped differently. They are larger toward the front, which keeps the weight more forward near the shoulder. My new Border Collie weighs 40 pounds, so that is neither large nor small.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Simba with the Wolf Pack. Right over the shoulder. He is 75 lbs.
P3100857.JPG
He is panting, as we just came back after a walk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I met a fellow with a dog this fall in Desolation, and he put a small bicycle light on top of the dog's collar so he could make sure he knew where the dog was at dusk. I thought that was a good idea if you let your dog amble around at dusk. I also like the idea of a colorful dog pack to better keep track of the dog during the day. I guess the bright kerchief around the neck would do to. Some dogs fur blends in to the surroundings.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I call Simba, "the ghost." He's there one moment and then disappears. The pack and the collar have reflective stuff on it. I can shine my light and figure out where he might be. His booties are also strobe light equipped, but not regularly worn. His training collar also beeps.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

How hard is it to train a new dog for recall with an ultrasonic dog whistle?

Normally the dog sticks very close to me, but then it starts to wander.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Bond with Lucy. She will be your life long friend. You don't need a sonic whistle. "Simba, sit." "Simba, come." "Simba, good boy." It takes repetition and understanding the expectation.

But he hates cats. Good boy!