Need some under 3 miles (one-way) backpacking destinations

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
fyton2v
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by fyton2v »

giantbrookie wrote: Anyhow, perhaps a strategy would be to try Little Lakes Valley (still my top choice) and if that doesn't work you can fall back on the Saddlebag area (including the additional two options above). Note for the Saddlebag area you can get wilderness permits at the resort there--you don't have to go all the way over Tioga Pass to the Lee Vining ranger station.
That sounds like a plan :). Thank you.
arlopop61
Topix Novice

Post by arlopop61 »

I like the Little Lakes idea, but this weekend I ran into a couple with their five year old daughter and their three year old son on their way down from Eagle Lake in Mineral King. It worked perfectly for them. The kids held up well and the options were great for them. The hike can be a little rough for kids, but if a three year old can hack it...
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

arlopop61 wrote:I like the Little Lakes idea, but this weekend I ran into a couple with their five year old daughter and their three year old son on their way down from Eagle Lake in Mineral King. It worked perfectly for them. The kids held up well and the options were great for them. The hike can be a little rough for kids, but if a three year old can hack it...
But they froze to death because they couldn't have a fire up there. :D
arlopop61
Topix Novice

Post by arlopop61 »

lol