reserving SEKI permits - RE: e-mail submittal timing

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

reserving SEKI permits - RE: e-mail submittal timing

Post by grampy »

Sorry for this being somewhat narrow in interest, but here it is:
Last year, I submitted 2 different SEKI permit requests and was successful with both. For 2019 season I only submitted one (1), but figured my outgoing “send” time of Mar 1, 12:01:02 would be similarly successful. I was surprised the actual “received” time (in my response from the NPS server) almost 17 MINUTES (!!) later. I went back and saw last year’s response (from a 12:01:01 submittal) of 12:08:44 (not as bad, but still slow). I had strong wifi service at time of sending, so I couldn’t have done much else (except being 1 - 2 seconds quicker).
Has anyone else observed a similarly-large lag time? Also, do the more experienced members on this board have better success by hitting “SEND” a few seconds BEFORE 12:01:00 rolls around ? Or is it just an unpredictable crapshoot due soley to server overloading on the NPS side ? Still hoping for success, but I have a (different) backup trip - Inyo side- reservation just in case. Just trying to learn my lesson for next year. Thanks!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: reserving SEKI permits - RE: e-mail submittal timing

Post by rlown »

You're seriously worried about 17 minutes?
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

SORRY ! But at least I wasn’t asking about the JMT :rolleyes:
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I sent my request two days late... I have backup plans if I don't get it. There Are Many Great Trips.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

I submitted at 12:02 and got an email back at 12:17 as well. I wouldn’t sweat the time that you get a reply email.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
kursavwilage
Topix Acquainted

Post by kursavwilage »

I sent mine in @ 12:01 got the reply @ 12:04. I got my approval on 3/6......
Did your permit get approved?
Dawnql
Topix Newbie

Post by Dawnql »

Mine was sent in at 12:02 and I got confirmation at 12:09. It’s my first time applying so I’m a bit disappointed in the lag time because 3 out of 4 of my dates are already unavailable for a group of 6. Hoping for good news this week.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Above examples are why I do not reserve. I think the reservation system has become counter-productive, perhaps even corrupt and adds to anxiety. I prefer the lottery system where everyone applies in a one-month slot, winners are randomly selected.

I wonder if there is an "APP" out there that manages your phone or computer to get the first slot. And if it does, and you pay for the APP, then is that legal? It is beginning to sound like the stock market where the average person cannot compete with the computerized trading.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:59 am Above examples are why I do not reserve. I think the reservation system has become counter-productive, perhaps even corrupt and adds to anxiety. I prefer the lottery system where everyone applies in a one-month slot, winners are randomly selected.

I wonder if there is an "APP" out there that manages your phone or computer to get the first slot. And if it does, and you pay for the APP, then is that legal? It is beginning to sound like the stock market where the average person cannot compete with the computerized trading.
https://www.kqed.org/news/11450483/cant ... ld-be-bots

Yes, it's a thing.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

“Bots”? ... OR maybe just due to the outdated condition of many gov’t computer assets; the NPS mail server(s) probably “freeze”, then accept incoming e-mails on a somewhat random basis regardless of “send” timing. As already pointed out, it was silly of me to stress about it. Mostly I was eager to actually get to DO (and report on) a trip that folks here have given me a lot of nice input on.
But I do have a (non-SEKI) backup trip planned, just in case.