dogs

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: dogs

Post by rlown »

doesn't need one. I'm the one with the gun. Legal method of take. He's only responsible for finding them if I suck at my job.
We're up to 4 poly bottles in his pack now. It didn't even phase him.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I read that dogs can shake more than 90% of the water off their coats. I do not think you need a doggie rain cape. I do take something to wipe down the dog before she gets in the tent. I use a kitchen towel. Maybe even a sponge would work. I also take a doggie first aid kit. You can get that stuff at a feed store. There is first aid tape for horses that will not stick and pull at their fur. Mainly you need stuff to treat sore paws.

If you fish, you may catch your dog. I do regularly. I have to cut the fly out of her coat.

Our dog gets totally freaked in thunder. We are inside the tent most of the time when this happens. Hopefully you will have a thunder storm at home so you can see how she reacts.

I bet your dog does know the commands, she is just testing you. We always do a combination of command and hand signal. I think it is a good idea to use the universal hand signals. That way the dog will also understand other people. You can find these in dog training books. Say the command, assertively but kindly, give the hand signal, then if the dog does not do what told, say sit, push her butt down, so she knows what she is to do. Then try again, if she does it, give her a treat and praise her excessively. Repeat, repeat.

A dog trainer once said, "why would a dog do something for you if you are screaming at it?" Dogs obey when they know what you want and because they want to please you. The first thing to do is to get the dog to know you are always there for them, feed them, love them and they will want to please you too. I suspect your dog just does not trust you yet. Border Collies are smart. It only takes a few times for them to know what you want. Then if they pause, they are just testing you, or showing independence. Be firm but do not yell at the dog. And never ask a dog to do anything unless you follow through and actually make them do it. (That works for kids too!). Be very consistent. Be sure the command is said the same each time- same tone, same syllables.

Get the dog some chew toys. Our border collie loves Squeak toys. And catching a frisbee is her favorite game. Border Collies are not dogs that will just sit by the fireplace. They need to be very active and played with a lot. It basically takes three outings a day, 5+ miles a day to keep our border collie calm.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:23 pm Mainly you need stuff to treat sore paws.
The current plan is to get some wax in around the dog paws, and then apply dog booties that are synthetic and leather. Also, I am going to have to break in the new dog pretty slowly.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:23 pm Get the dog some chew toys. Our border collie loves Squeak toys. And catching a frisbee is her favorite game. Border Collies are not dogs that will just sit by the fireplace. They need to be very active and played with a lot. It basically takes three outings a day, 5+ miles a day to keep our border collie calm.
This silly Border Collie does not like its tug-of-war rope or its tennis ball or its squeaky toy. About as adventurous at it gets is to stick its nose into some fresh laundry and upset it all. This dog lays out on the floor anywhere within five feet of me. If I change rooms, then it follows me. It was a challenge just to find something that it would take as a dog treat (dog meatballs and peanut butter).
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:23 pm You can find these in dog training books.
Yes, I read a dog training book twice (Training the Best Dog Ever), which emphasizes positive training. I try all of that stuff, and this Border Collie just stares into my eyes. No response to her name, SIT, STAY, FETCH, DOWN, COME, or anything. However, she is not deaf. Just now we could faintly hear some neighborhood dogs barking a hundred yards away, and she took notice. I think there is just a vocabulary problem.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:23 pm Border Collies are not dogs that will just sit by the fireplace.
This Border Collie likes to lay on the floor and either watch the fire in the fireplace or else watch television news (Fox News, naturally). Weird.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

The following you around is just normal for border collies. Right now I think she is worried about losing you so not interested in toys. When she gets more confidence that you will not leave her, she may start playing more. Border collies absolutely stare you in the eye! That is what they do to sheep to herd them. Talk to her like a person and see what she does. Ours perks up her ears, nods her head and seems to understand at some level.

A nylon webbing harness may be less tasty to chew than leather. Not sure why but our dog never chewed anything, even when she was a puppy. And speaking of chewing, she gets a "dental chew" every morning. Otherwise you should brush teeth with dog toothpaste now and then.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

At least Lucy hasn't nipped you on the heel like my mom's heeler Missy did. Yes, I learned the kick quickly.
Not all dogs like toys. Training is one command at a time. Start with sit. rinse, treat, repeat. next down. Come is important but that requires trust. After Simba ran from me and ignored come (off leash at my mom's place) we had a discussion and decided on the training collar.
Simba doesn't actually watch TV like my JRT did. Bubba would attack the TV! Simba doesn't like doorbells ringing on the TV and goes off for a couple minutes. My pool guy was here today and Simba didn't like that (new guy.) I showed him his bark collar and he instantly knew what that meant and calmed down.

My dog has a plethora of chew toys (ropes, bones, a few balls, and a 17 yo plush duck that I had to sew the leg on last night.) He likes them all.
He gets shedded every week as there is fur and his teeth brushed weekly.

Gotta learn the dog.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Dogs understand body language much more than verbal language. A lot of people think it is stupid to "baby talk" to dogs, but I think it is more expressive so the dog gets more of your body language.

The easiest command for a border collie is "lie down" (because it is part of their herding instinct) with the hand signal, flat hand, palm down, arm moved quickly downward. It is a great command because you can do it far away and they just plop right down, once they learn what you mean. It sort of sets them up for subsequent commands. It is the most important command on the trail. When someone or another dog approaches, we move off the trail a few feet, and then "lie down", "stay". It eliminates all interaction with other dogs which eliminates a lot of potential fights. Border Collies do not tend to like other dogs. After the person and/or dog has passed, then you raise your hand for an "OK to get up" command. Once I give the "lie down" command our dog has eyes locked on mine, waiting for what to do next. Sheep herders say "that'll do". It really means your command is done, now "at ease". I just say OK. Our dog was not keen on learning "sit". I think she thought it was a stupid thing to do. I do not think sitting is very natural for dogs. Same with roll over. We did not even teach that. I cannot think of why I would WANT my dog to roll over.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

So far the dog grabs a clean sock and chews on that enough to act like dental floss.