Unpopular Opinion: The JMT sucks

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Does the JMT suck?

Yes
20%
Yes!
17%
Cake.
63%

Total votes: 30

rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Unpopular Opinion: The JMT sucks

Post by TurboHike »

franklin411 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:28 pm Frankly, the most popular thru hike trails ought to be structured on the European model: with Alpine huts providing lodging, food, and other services at reasonable intervals along the route. Screw John Muir and his vision of a wilderness without human beings.
There is a hut system in Colorado if that's your thing. Here is the link:

https://www.huts.org/

It's not the same system as in Europe since you still need to bring your own sleeping bag and your own food. But no need for a tent or cooking utensils.

I've hiked hut to hut in both Switzerland and Austria. Their system is nice, but they do not use pack animals to supply the huts. Every hut is serviced with a cable system, similar to a gondola. In the Sierra, could you imagine building a hut at the top of Shepherd Pass, and then also building a gondola that runs up Shepherd Creek? Or maybe a hut near Kearsarge Lakes, with a gondola that runs up and over Kearsarge Pass? I say no thanks. This type of system work in Europe because the towns in the Alps are very close together. Over every ridge is another valley with towns, food, and bus service. This is not the case in the Sierra.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I do not know if the original post is a troll, but franklin411 has posted here several times over the years and provided some good information. Obviously his style of hiking is not that much into wilderness thru-hiking, which is fine. Not criticizing that. I do agree that if we get outside our own "bubble" there are others who feel as he does. But that does not justify bending the wilderness rules. And, as others have pointed out, the sheer fact that the JMT is being used, or perhaps overused, shows that there are plenty of younger folks getting into backpacking. Thanks TurboHike, for bringing in some more practical reasons the JMT cannot be turned into a European style hut system. And if we were to supply huts by horses, then the JMT would really become a trail of poop!

The only area I can think of in the Sierra that has the beginnings of infrastructure for a semi-hut system would be the Tahoe Rim trail. There already are numerous ski lifts that could be used to supply top-of-mountain huts. The ski lifts are already permanent structures not located in a designated wilderness. Desolation Wilderness is only a small part of that trail, easily passed through in two days. Problem perhaps solved by renting a tent from one hut and turning it in at another. I do suspect, however, that there would be a public outcry- environmentalism runs deep in the Tahoe area. I also suspect the economics for the ski areas to use their lifts and build huts may be unprofitable. So even if physically feasible, unlikely politically or economically feasible.

For now those who want to hut-to-hut simply go elsewhere.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:29 am I do suspect, however, that there would be a public outcry- environmentalism runs deep in the Tahoe area.
Yeah, no. We really don't need a semi-hut system here.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

My dog said to say hi to Beans. What a great little guy - I really enjoyed your trip reports with him.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

c9h13no3 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:00 am
sekihiker wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:43 am Did I mention my dog?
And I thought I was trolling >_<
troll - a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses and normalizing tangential discussion, whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

First of all, I assumed this somewhat provacative post was for entertainment value. And indeed it has largely succeeded. I admit that I have made several posts that were meant to distract and to amuse me. But they were my apparently unsuccessful attempts at humor. I apologise if my posts have upset people or caused discord. I have posted no more links to dog matters than were made in the initial post for this topic and I hope that this has caused no distress. All the above expressed with tongue firmly in cheek . . . and with love.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

sekihiker wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:20 am First of all, I assumed this somewhat provacative post was for entertainment value. And indeed it has largely succeeded. I admit that I have made several posts that were meant to distract and to amuse me. But they were my apparently unsuccessful attempts at humor. I apologise if my posts have upset people or caused discord.
Lol, yeah. This thread (forum?) is for entertainment. We get your humor.

And I'm not certain trolling *has* to sew discord. I think of it more as just posting things just to get a reaction from people, rather than being 100% serious.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

c9h13no3 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:51 pm The Jolly Manure Trench
The Justa Million Tourists
These made me LOL.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

Oh yeah, on most really good troll polls, the final whimsical option is BACON not cake...

Milton Friedman
Snowtrout
Topix Regular

Post by Snowtrout »

When I hiked two parts of the JMT, I never once thought that it "sucked" but it did feel crowded. It felt like a highway during the day and a parking lot at night. Not usually the solitude I am looking for but the beauty of the land made others on the trail tolerable.

A few thoughts:
The JMT already does have a type of hut system in place on the northern part of the trail: MTR, VVR, Reds Meadow, Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite Valley. Just have to walk 2-3 days to get pampered.

Don't want to carry all your gear, hire a packer or take a horse, mule, llama or goat.

Lots of off ramps from the JMT highway. You can take the side street route, the gravel road route (un-maintained or vanished trails) or go 4x4 (no trail). Pick what suits you.

Let's talk about dogs some more. :D Many on here love to hike with their furry friends, taking most of the JMT out of the equation (unless you want to claim they are a service dog). Lots of great options between Yosemite and SEKI that are not crowded and dog friendly.

Lastly, who says you have to hike the JMT? If you don't want to, don't. No one is forcing you to do it. If you do decide to do it, great but one should realize how popular the JMT is and those issues that come with popularity. If you think it sucks after hiking it, maybe the issue isn't the trail nor the people on it......just saying :rolleyes:
Last edited by Snowtrout on Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.