Hiking shoes

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Hiking shoes

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have two pair of hiking shoes that I bought from REI and am trying to decide which one I keep. One is the same shoe I already use, the other "Anhu" Montara III, a sub-brand of Teva. Has anyone here used this shoe? My complaint about Merrel is that they wear out quickly, the Anhu looks to be better made and it fits. Only complaint for the Anhu is that it does not have as aggressive of a tread that I prefer (may not stick on snow as well).
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hiking shoes

Post by bobby49 »

Some hikers like a deep, aggressive boot sole since it gives them more traction. That would be important if you find yourself on snow very much. There is a lot more rubber sole to wear out. On the other hand, if that rubber sole is soft rubber, it may wear out rapidly anyway, and that depends on the trail surface that you are on. Some hikers find that the upper part dies before the sole dies. Personally, I am having good luck with Vasque low-cut boots. I have my third pair now.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

I'm assuming both fit good and you have miles on them? I had the same question of durability when I tried a pair of Merrels over my Brooks. I wore them for ~100 miles before decided to go back to the Brooks. REI's return policy is great and I think any hiking shoe you get is going to last about the same, not as long as a boot.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Yes, the Merrel Vibram tread does wear out fast even though it starts out deep. More of a problem than the tread itself, I find that with wear, the rubber becomes slick and no longer sticky. The Ahnu's are also Vibram sticky rubber. Both shoes were on a good discount from REI garage so I could also keep both. The 2019 Merrel shoe that replaces the All Out Blaze no longer uses a Vibram sole. The one I bought from REI is the close-out version with the Vibram sole. I asked the clerk at our local Merrel outlet about that and she said it was to keep costs down because Merrel does not have to pay Vibram royalties if they use their own generic sole.

For some reason, nowadays, most low cut hiking shoes have the sticky rubber, which wears faster than the old fashioned hard rubber Vibram.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

The Anhu's were better made, very comfortable, roomy toe box, but the outsole tread was not aggressive enough given the amount I do off-trail and snow. If I were to buy a trail hiking only shoe the Anhu would be my choice. Reviewers who raved about this shoe were those doing semi-civilized hiking such as the Camino in Spain. The shoe is also expensive ($100 even on sale), so given the unknowns about the outer sole, I did not keep them.

I ended up keeping the Merrel All Out Blaze 2 wp. Very few unknowns here since this is my 4th All Out Blaze pair I have bought. Unlike the older versions which was a no-insole design (which did work OK for me), the current shoe comes with a low-quality removable insole, but it does not matter because I prefer to use my green Superfeet insoles anyway. The toe cap has slightly more coverage than my old shoes, so hopefully this may work out better with respect to wear.
aishaly092

Post by aishaly092 »

Hey there,

I think if you will share the photos of both the shoes then maybe It could be easy to find out which one you should keep or not? But I need your help. Actually, I went for trekking last year and my shoes got fully punctured and that was a worse thing for me. And now again I'm going for trekking with my friends and this time I don't want to wear sports shoes. So, I searched a lot and finally found that hiking shoes are the best option for trekking then please suggest me is that really good and if yes then where can I find the best shoes for trekking. please suggests me with the best.
Thanks!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I am not sure what you are asking, but I will try to answer. I think a beginner would do better to go to a store like REI rather than order over the internet. REI has experienced staff who can help you choose an appropriate shoe. If just trail hiking you do not need a boot. A low cut hiking shoe will do fine. Fit is very important. The people at REI can help you get a good fit and if the shoe does not work, you can return it easily and try another. If there is no REI store nearby, find another actual store where you can try on shoes.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

It might be helpful to some if you could define terms, what is a hiking shoe versus a low-cut boot. Otherwise, the REI staff might sell you what they want to sell, and not what is best for you to wear.

Personally, I stick with a low-cut boot for normal backpacking, and that means mostly trail with some off-trail. I find these Vasque boots to have a substantial sole.
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

aishaly092 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:56 pm Hey there,

But I need your help. Actually, I went for trekking last year and my shoes got fully punctured and that was a worse thing for me. And now again I'm going for trekking with my friends and this time I don't want to wear sports shoes. So, I searched a lot and finally found that hiking shoes are the best option for trekking then please suggest me is that really good and if yes then where can I find the best shoes for trekking. please suggests me with the best.
Thanks!
Going to REI, as suggested, is good advice. Fit is important, don't worry too much about which brand, buy what fits your feet. It sounds like you're using a sport shoe, like maybe a running shoe? If you want something more rugged, look for a hiking shoe that has a nylon shank. The shank adds torsional stability to the shoe so that the shoe doesn't twist and bend when you hike over uneven terrain. You might also want to buy a shoe with a rock plate. This is a plastic-type plate that is in the forefoot of the shoe, which helps to prevent sharp rocks from possibly bruising your feet. As an example, I use Oboz Tamarack shoes. This is a low-cut shoe that has a shank and a rock plate, which makes it feel almost like a boot. The sole is stiff. It's not for everyone, but for me I can hike all day long and I never get sore feet.

Footwear is a personal choice. Some people hike in sandals, some people hike in boots. Once you find something that fits your feet, I suspect you will have much more fun on the trail. Good luck.