Osprey Aether 70 - Am I not Cut Out for a Lightweight Pack?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Osprey Aether 70 - Am I not Cut Out for a Lightweight Pack?

Post by rightstar76 »

I had a disappointing experience today. I bought an Osprey Aether 70 pack at REI Friday and tried it out today. I sweat more than the average person and soon I was really uncomfortable with the pack against my back. It felt like a board against me and I was sweating bullets. I am going to have to return it. My wife just got a Gregory Electra pack and when she tried it out today she was happy as a lark. I'm thinking that maybe I better settle with a Gregory Palisade or something similar that has more ventillation in the back area. Any suggestions?
Bearman
Topix Novice

Post by Bearman »

Interesting. I also bought the Osprey Aether 70 last Friday at REI, but have not tried it out yet (hopefully tomorrow :) ). Have you looked at the Osprey Atmos 65? It has a curved back panel to provide better ventilation. The one thing I did not like about the Atmos 65 is that the curved back panel makes the pack interior curved and thus harder tp load.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

I have an older Osprey Aerial 60 Pack (Women's version of the Aether) and I just love it, but that was before they redesigned it and made it heavier with all that stretchy fabric (the new pack weighs more than a pound more than the old one). The suspension was great on the old one too. I really think it was a poor redesign. If I buy another Osprey pack it will probably be the Exposure 66 because that's still fairly lightweight and more like the old Aerial/Aether.
Aviprk
Topix Acquainted

Post by Aviprk »

Honestly, amid all this talk that Osprey packs are great and all, it seems to me that the quality overrall of their packs has gone down a lot. Their sticthing is not as good as before and by touch I can feel that the quality of their materials are not as great compared to Gregory or Arcteryx. In fact, I would say Osprey is becoming more like Kelty but with better designs and somewhat better suspension.
I don't know what got into those guys for using stretchy fabric but that stuff can't possibly hold up as long as the good old side pockets! My friend's Aether is already showing some signs of wear.

Okay back to your question rightstar76. If sweat is a big problem for you then the Osprey Atmos 65 could fit the bill. I don't know how much you carry but the 65 is designed for up to 35-40lbs. I've read mixed reviews about the Atmos. Some complained about the intrusion of the curved back into the pack space and some rave about the airy feeling. That would be up to you to decide.