show me your dog!

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

show me your dog!

Post by maiathebee »

the recent thread in the backpacking forum about taking dogs along made me itchin for some adventure dog photos! show me your most majestic mountain dog photos!

here's one of my two, Lucy, in Canyon Creek (Trinity Alps) a few years ago

Sawtooth Peak and Lucy! by Maia Averett, on Flickr
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Re: show me your dog!

Post by bobby49 »

It appears to me that the saddlebags look pretty wide on that dog. I hope they aren't as heavy as they look. Does the dog tear up the saddlebags because of the width?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

dogs learn about their width. Simba picked up on it right away. We train with two poly bottles full. One in each saddlebag.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

bobby49 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:36 pm It appears to me that the saddlebags look pretty wide on that dog. I hope they aren't as heavy as they look. Does the dog tear up the saddlebags because of the width?
The dog is 75lbs, saddlebags contained 4lbs of food (2lbs each side), her fleece, and her rain jacket, so they look poofy but are pretty light. Total less than 10% of her weight :) I trained her since she was a puppy with the harness, then empty saddle bags for an entire year before putting any weight in them. She is totally used to the width and doesn't snag them on things.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Here is our Border Collie, Lupe; she weighs about 43 pounds and is 6 years old now. Here she is at Suzi Lake in Desolation Wilderness on her first overnight backpack when she was just a little over a year old. The trip mangled her tender puppy paws due to the sharp rocks on the trail. At that time I did not even think about booties, because we walked her every day. I did not put a pack on her because of her age.
Lupe_SuzieLk2.jpg
Here she is on her second year's trip in the Wind Rivers in Wyoming, at Enos Lake on the Wind River Indian Reservation. She loves fishing and knows that one of those fish will be hers. This was a 9 day trip. We brought booties but she never needed them. Trails were much less rocky.
Lupe_WilsonCrLks_Wyo.jpg
Trip into Humphreys Basin. Crossing the stream above Upper Golden Lake.
Lupe_Humphreys Basin.jpg
At Dingleberry Lake in Sabrina Basin. This is a good paw-friendly place to take a dog. She gets in water every chance she can. Loves to swim too. I was carrying her pack because we were just heading up to Fishgut Lake where she would have to scramble up rocks and in some brush.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Nice photos, Daisy...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

What a cutie, WD! I grew up with a border collie and think that my Lucy is a border collie mastiff mix. They are excellent companions!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Your dog is also black; do you also have problems with overheating? We have to be very careful to take a route where Lupe can regularly go into water to cool off. If I were to specifically get a backpacking dog, it would be lighter colored and short haired. Hey, but we love our furry ball so we just deal with it. :)
venturefar
Topix Regular

Post by venturefar »

Here's Shadow on a couple day trips into the Emigrant.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
@aguabonita
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Here are my two from Lilly Lake TH a few years ago. Yellow is Scout, black is Finn. They are tough mountain dogs, no tents or booties for them.
In addition to their own food in their bags, they carry a beer (or 6).
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman