backpacker breakfast

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: backpacker breakfast

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I bought a #10 can of fd scrambled eggs (plain). It is now available at WinCo at a reasonable price. I tried it this last summer and was pleasantly surprised. Quite good if spiced up enough and a little butter. Eggs and instant potatoes were a nice change from oatmeal. Only down side is that the fd eggs are bulky so do not fit in a bear can for longer trips. If you squish the eggs they become powder; chunks that come right from the #10 can reconstitute more like real scrambled eggs.
neil d
Topix Regular

Post by neil d »

Thanks for the tip on the fd eggs at Winco! I love Winco for just that sort of thing...I will look for them next time I'm there.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Thanks WD, I buy a lot of my BP food from Winco also. I'll have to look this weekend to see my local has eggs in the #10 can also.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Speaking of instant grits, Amazon has a great price on a jumbo variety pack. .

https://smile.amazon.com/Quaker-Instant ... spons&th=1
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wsp_scott »

You might check out OvaEasy https://www.amazon.com/OvaEasy-Powdered ... 007MC6F1C/
You add a little water and it looks like uncooked scrambled eggs, they cook up like real scrambled eggs. I add some dried vegs (tomatoes, onions, potatoes all from harmony house) and it makes a great breakfast either just like that or as a burrito filling. For easy cleanup I will do a version of omelet in a bag.
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

WD, what brand were those fd eggs?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Oops! I mislead. The eggs were Mountain House and I got them from my local Ace Hardware. Evidently Ace Hardware stores are independently run and the one near me, has a small section of "survival" food. My local Winco has #10 cans of pineapple, green beans and a few other fruits. I too am impressed with what Winco offers. Next time I go I will write down what they have and the brand names.

Those powdered dry eggs used to be very common and reasonably priced and I could get them at Walmart and REI but not now.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

Just came across this thread.
I have pretty simple food tastes for backpacking. For breakfast, I eat about a cup of some commercial granola with some extra dried fruit and about 1 oz of powdered milk (preferably powdered whole milk) mixed up with cold water. I check the ingredients on the granola packages at the store and buy the one with the most protein and fiber. I heat up enough water for one hot drink. I used to bring hot cocoa mix, but now generally just take some tea bags and brew up a strong black tea. Lighter and less volume than the cocoa.
-Phil
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

If we humans are eating this stuff for our breakfast, then what about Man's Best Friend? Does the dog get stuck with plain old dog food? Can't I share some of my own summer sausage with the dog?

Somebody suggested to give the dog warm water to drink instead of cold water if the weather is really cool.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

a little oatmeal and some summer sausage isn't going to hurt Lucy. I don't think dogs care about the cool temps of the water they drink.
Besides, I sleep with a poly bottle in my bag. Pretty sure it is warm enough.