Mid-May in SEKI - what are my options?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Loseyourself
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Mid-May in SEKI - what are my options?

Post by Loseyourself »

I have a week off in mid-May and would like to know what, if any, options I might have for a weeklong trip in SEKI. I know that's too early but those are the dates I have free.

I'm guessing the classic routes in Kings Canyon are going to be a no go. I don't mind carrying snow shoes, but don't want to tackle hard ice on an exposed route. Also, river crossings might be an issue.

Any lower elevation routes available? Any suggestions.

Many thanks.

Questionnaire is below.

Level 3

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?
-
- Class 2 terrain/pass/x-country
-

What is your main interest?

- Forests
- Big Mountain scenery

How many days/nights is your trip, not including travel to trailhead?

How many miles did you want to do a day, any layovers?

15+ (less if lot of passes) (Once did single day R2R2R, some ultras, etc. Fitness is high.)

Have you hiked at elevation before? Any prior issues with Altitude Sickness?

Yes, climbed to 19,000 on a few occasions. No issues

Do you have a route logistics preference: loop, out and back, point to point (which may require 2 vehicles or hitchhiking)?

Prefer loop rather than out and back.

Is there a particular area in the Sierra that your most interested in (Yosemite, SEKI, western sierra start or eastern start ect.)?

Interested in Kings Canyon but understand it might be a bad idea.

Have you hiked in the Sierra Nevada before, if yes, where? Please list a few of your more difficult hikes, so we can then recommend routes based on your experience level.

No

Will you be hiking with a dog?

No
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Mon May 04, 2020 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Re: Mid-May in SEKI - what are my options?

Post by SSSdave »

Some may post one of their favorite usual early summer destinations and relate how they enjoy post holing and slipping around in snow.

In May this board will repeatedly receive similar questions. Given the huge snow pack now piled up especially at mid forest elevations, your options are lowest elevations that though they have trails, are only suited for day hiking or one nighters and no there won't be any big mountain scenery. Expect snow above 6,000 feet unless early May is unusually sunny warm or we have another tropical AR event that washes away snows below 8k.

Thus wiser planning would look to lower elevation areas outside the Sierra Nevada especially if it just has to be backpacking. Unfortunately mid May is generally too late for desert and coastal region greenery and wildflower areas. For instance there are long multi-day backpacks in parks like Henry Coe, but by then it would be weeks past peak and drying to browns. What is good early to mid May is our far northern redwood forests and much of the Colorado Plateau areas, especially in Utah.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Loseyourself,

Welcome to HST!
This year is not the year to be hitting SEKI in mid-may, especially for a week long excursion, unless one is interested and experienced in snow camping.
Maybe you can push back you vacation time by several weeks and choose one of the more classic loops that have all your requirements, without the dangers of snow and ice, and gets you acccess to areas with the big mountain scenery.
If you vacation is locked in time wise, consider Grand Staircase-Escalante in Utah. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Creek crossings will be an issue - forget rivers. I just got back from digging out sheds in Sierra National Forest at about 7500 feet. More snow is falling soon, they will plow the road again, I will be digging out the same sheds in two weeks...

I recommend Montecito Lodge - even tho the storms stranded 100+ people there, they took care of them. Plenty of snowshoeing to do, with a warm bed and hot cocoa when you get back for the night.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Breaking trail through snow is even harder with a big pack (you sink in further). You typically need 2 sleeping pads to sleep on snow (one foam, one inflatable). Generally I plan early season trips very last minute, and target areas right at the snow line. That way you can sleep on dry ground, then hike up ~500 feet in elevation and get to a big stash of snow to play in.

Creeks will indeed be your biggest obstacle. The last winter of this magnitude took out the bridge across Woods creek on the Rae Lakes Loop.

Why SEKI? That's the highest elevation spot in the Sierra and has the long trail approaches of the West side as well. If I were flying in, I'd go in via the East. You're on the dry side of the range, and the approaches are shorter.

EDIT - One last thing. By going to SEKI in May, you sorta miss a lot about it that makes it great. The white granite and wildflowers will be covered in snow. That easy cross country travel in August is now no different than any other mountain range covered in snow. You don't go skiing in September, and it's not really "backpacking" in May during a high snow year.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Yosemite Valley is great in mid-May. This is where I always go. You get REALLY big walls instead of "big mountains". I have put together loops for nearly a one-week trip. And mid-may is THE peak for waterfalls in Yosemite.

For example,
Pohono Trail, including all the view points, to Glacier Point (does not matter that Glacier Point Road is open or not), then Panorama Trail to Little Yosemite Valley, snow-climb up Clouds Rest, or perhaps side-trip up to Merced Lake, down Mist Trail to Happy Isles, camp in Backpackers Campground, Snow Creek Trail - side trip to the top of Mt Watkins (will be snow but dry camping on top), then up Snow Creek Trail to junction with trail to North Dome, rim trail crossing Arch, Lehamite and Indian Canyon Creeks (if one of these is not crossable just turn around and go back down Snow Creek), to Yosemite Point, down to the top of Yosemite Falls, side trip (snow) to the top of El Cap, down Yosemite Falls trail. Actually having snow is advantageous because there will be plenty of water and you can camp at places where once the snow goes there is no water, such as on the top of North Dome. You do have to get new permits if you stay in the valley overnight. In fact the last time I did a loop like this, I could not get a permit for the entire loop. Evidently once you cross the valley from one side to the other you need a new permit. Snow Creek permits are easy to get. Cables will likely still be down on Half Dome, so getting a permit for LYV will also be easy. The nice thing about hikes from Yosemite Valley is that there will be bridges on the big creeks.

I have put several trip reports here of these hikes. They are big-mile hikes. Only once, in April, did I use snow-shoes. The snow is generally hard enough to walk on in May. And you will always be able to find a dry camp spot on the top of rocky domes. If this interests you, I could bump up one of my trip reports for you to look at.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Having a done some late May trips in Yosemite, I agree with WD. Hiking out of Yosemite Valley is a difficult first day, but worth the effort. The hike up the Snow Creek Trail and along the rim to North Dome, Yosemite Falls, Eagle Peak, and El Capitan will easily occupy your week. As WD mentioned, there’s no water on North Dome, but there are a couple of amazing campsites. Just bring extra empty water bottles and fill them at the last water source. Since Tioga Road will most likely still be closed, there won't be that many day hikers and probably only a few backpackers, so you should be able to experience the spine-tingling views of Yosemite Valley in near solitude.

I also concur with Dave’s suggestion of the redwoods. Humboldt State Park has hike-in sites along with Redwood National Park. This year, the Eel River and Redwood Creek might still be an issue, but there are great hike-in sites that avoid them.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Mon May 04, 2020 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
chulavista
Topix Acquainted

Post by chulavista »

If you have never been to the Sierra Nevada and you have a whole week, I would plan on two separate shorter trips. This will allow more flexibility and safety in case a snow storm hits during your week. One trip to Yosemite and one to SEKI. Just realize that you won't get the classic sierra nevada experience. For Yosemite, you could do what WD suggested. Glacier pt/panorama/little yose valley then snow creek/yosemite falls would be a cool trip. For seki, you may want to camp a day from the trailhead and then hike up as far as you want. Giant Forest and Roads End are two good trailheads. You may want to do a little more research and post whatever questions you have.