sunscreen dangers, wasn't this obvious?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: sunscreen dangers, wasn't this obvious?

Post by Jimr »

I wear a Buff
1-1-Horseshoe to Shepherd 026.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

You can get clothing with a wide variety of "sunscreen" levels, based on the color, type and weave of the material. Most clothing, unless specifically "sunblock", will let in some rays. I find that, wearing my hiking clothing, only small specific areas of my skin need sunscreen- nose, lips, ears, back of neck.

Aside from cancer, sun exposure will make you very wrinkly as you get older. Some women do care about that; typically not concern of men. Hey, but we women have actual hair on our heads to protect from sun. :D
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:05 am You can get clothing with a wide variety of "sunscreen" levels, based on the color, type and weave of the material. Most clothing, unless specifically "sunblock", will let in some rays. I find that, wearing my hiking clothing, only small specific areas of my skin need sunscreen- nose, lips, ears, back of neck.

Aside from cancer, sun exposure will make you very wrinkly as you get older. Some women do care about that; typically not concern of men. Hey, but we women have actual hair on our heads to protect from sun. :D
True. As my mom was diagnosed with stage 3/4 ovarian cancer and on chemo, she now has less hair than I do. Has a few nice beanies and wraps. I asked her if she wanted a wig. Still waiting on the response.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Having had cataracts removed at 33 years of age with no other reason other than going to elevation often to have them, I am a proponent of good sunglasses. I also have not had a lesion in two decades thanks to the good sunscreen.

I have a Chrome Dome and use it often, but I burn if I don't have good sunscreen just the same.

Kudos to you melanin-producers who can go without - those of us who are translucent know better than to try.