Snow Totals

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Snow Totals

Post by overheadx2 »

Headed to Mammoth this weekend to try some XC skiing. I might have to back track to a lower elevation in order to find reasonable amounts of snow

Just read Howard sheckter's mammoth weather report for the valentines atmospheric river. He seems to believe the AR will bring another large amount of snow to the sierra if it occurs. Looks like we should be looking at least a slightly above average snow year.

Howard wrote:
"As mentioned over the past week, the MJO is moving east, it is strong and it means business. It strongly suggests an atmospheric river, and in this case because of the pattern that is seasoned; for Southern California. When? Between Thursday and Saturday AM after St Valentine’s Day. The IOP looks to be Friday into Saturday AM. This looks to be a power house. However…. I will remind all that today is Wednesday and there is lots of time to adjust…..

For Mammoth: The AR looks to be mainly south of Central CA. We will look to be on the northern flank of the hose. The core of the hose will be over Northern Baja. Nevertheless, the storm has the potential to bring another massive amount of snowfall to Mammoth that weekend."
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

I trust any extended forecasts as much as I trust what comes out of Trump's mouth, well maybe a little more. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

The whole thing is up in the air because the CPC 6-10 and 8-14 outlook show cold and wet for the entire state. I read Howard's forecast. If pans out, would be bad for Southern Sierra and SoCal ranges since snow will melt. I looked at the Jordan Peak cam #4 and it seems like ice crystals are still on the pines. In San Gabriels, the Mt. Wilson cam shows there's still snow on the ground which is good.

https://rockyags.cr.usgs.gov/dashboards/WebCam.htm

http://obs.astro.ucla.edu/towercam.htm
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

maverick wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:50 pm I trust any extended forecasts as much as I trust what comes out of Trump's mouth, well maybe a little more. :)
=D>
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

rightstar76 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:01 pm
maverick wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:50 pm I trust any extended forecasts as much as I trust what comes out of Trump's mouth, well maybe a little more. :)
=D>
What good does it do to bring the POTUS into a discussion of snow totals????
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

+1
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

TahoeJeff wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:10 pm
rightstar76 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:01 pm
=D>
What good does it do to bring the POTUS into a discussion of snow totals????
It's just an analogy!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

and a bad choice of an anology.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

and a bad choice of an anology.
According to the dictionary:
At its most basic, an analogy is a comparison of two things to show their similarities. Sometimes the things being compared are quite similar, but other times they could be very different. Nevertheless, an analogy explains one thing in terms of another to highlight the ways in which they are alike.
So no, it is not a bad choice, and yes, it was only an analogy. :D
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Still a bad choice. We're not supposed to be political here, right?