Snow Totals

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Snow Totals

Post by maverick »

In the last 24 hrs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Snow Totals

Post by rightstar76 »

Impressive totals. I just checked DWR snow water equivalent. Average snow water content for the entire High Sierra today (2/5/19) is 125% of normal and 83% of normal for April 1. Looking good so far.

https://cdec.water.ca.gov/snowapp/sweq.action
Last edited by rightstar76 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

From the China Peak ski area website (they are on 168 above Shaver Lake):

"The Latest

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 5, 11 AM ... UPDATE ON HIGHWAY 168, EXPECTED TO REOPEN BETWEEN 1-2 PM TODAY.

The snow is still coming down but is expected to end later today. We received three feet to six feet of snow in the past 24 hours, bringing the 4 day total to 7-11 feet. We have only the beginner carpet open today, unlikely we'll get Chair 6 as it is buried, so don't rush up after Highway 168 opens and expect to get fresh tracks - that will happen tomorrow, Wednesday. As we continue to dig out - more snow fell Monday night into this morning than any time in the past four days - we will do our best to open more lifts and trails over the next few days."

I think that is known as "dumpage".

I have been keeping an eye on the snow sensor at West Woodchuck meadow - near Chimney Lake, Woodchuck Country up out of Wishon. Since the start of the storm it has received 7" of water content and the snow depth has increased by 63".

Also tracking the sensor at Gianelli Meadow - right next to the Gianelli Trailhaed above Pinecrest for Emigrant Wilderness. That one has received almost 14" (!) of water content in this storm cycle, and the depth has come up 70".
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

All roads in Yosemite are closed. Here is the latest web cam shot
ahwahnee2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

NIIIICE!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Looks a lot like my wedding 25 years ago at the ahwahnee solarium room in Feb.
Snow is good.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

The kind of conditions that I have been waiting for in the Valley, but commitments don't allow me to go up until Monday after the storm coming in Friday, hopefully temps stay cold and there is some more snow accumulation. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Just a side note. The snow level in So. Cal. is supposed to get down to 2K this evening. I haven't seen that in a long time.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Just read forecast discussions from Sacramento to San Diego including Reno and Las Vegas. Valentine's Day this year may not show a lot of love for the snowpack. There may be a big atmospheric river that could wash a significant portion away. :(
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Well, there is plenty more snow on the way before and if any rain comes:

http://southtahoenow.com/story/02/06/20 ... oe-weekend
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman