Where to next?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hey GB

Ive been to the lakes up Stubblefield and Thompson Canyon.
I really enjoyed the Thompson lakes.
Lakes of Breeze Canyon a pretty isolated and fun.
Edith we all know about.
CG, Swamp, Slide, Volcanic, Kid(+North Fork) Ive visited. The
only lakes I didnt visit were the ones southeast and northeast of
State Peak. Ive done the Moro Blanco twice including Arrow Peak
Basin between Arrow and Pyramid Peak, and the Window Lake area.
Ive also been to Lake 10232, though a long time ago in a trip that
included Ionian.
Jeremy
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Jeremy »

Finally remembered where I had read about Enchanted Gorge. Here is a write-up on it. I have not been there personally, but thought it fit the description of what you're looking for. Good luck.

http://sierrahiker.home.comcast.net/Enc ... index.html
Are you ready boots?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks J
I read that quite a while ago. Bill has alot of good trip reports
on his site.
Phil Arnot "High Sierra,John Muir's Range of Light" has some detailed trip
reports to some great areas, which I have used many times in the past.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

maverick wrote:Phil Arnot "High Sierra,John Muir's Range of Light" has some detailed trip
reports to some great areas, which I have used many times in the past.
I always found that an interesting and enjoyable book. There are a lot of off trail exotic destinations in there. The one thing I always wondered was: how on Earth did he persuade publishers to publish that book? I mean, how many potential readers actually do THAT kind of hiking--the hardcore off trail backpacking folks are a vanishingly small percentage of backcountry hikers. I don't imagine that book sold too many copies.

So, Kendrick Creek (I still haven't done the Edith to Twin part of that trek) and Stubblefield are off the list. What about Lake 11482 north of Kern Point?
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Nope only to the lakes northeast of the Kern Ridge and the lakes
of Milestone Bowl.
11482 is a big lake and looks like it would have a fine view of the
Whitney Region and more!
Yes Phil's book describes alot of hardcore x-country routes which is why
I think it appeals to you and I.
Have you followed any of his routes or done a route and then find
Phil discribing the exact route that you just finished?
By the way I met him at REI a several years back(San Carlos)
he was giving a slide show of his trips, it was pretty cool.
will_jrob
Topix Acquainted

Post by will_jrob »

Re Enchanted Gorge, this Matthew Holliman's report:
http://sepwww.stanford.edu/.mh/kcnp_aug ... x_web.html
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Wow everyone, this is a great thread. Glad to hear from others who are interested in visiting these lakes. Sometimes it's easy to think you are the only one who likes to visit these places. Giantbrookie, thanks for your advice. I've been wondering which way was the easiest. I'm going to try to convince my wife to go over Reinstein Pass. Maverick, I was looking at my 7.5 minute Mt. Goddard map and it looks like if you went east from Tunemah Lake you could drop down quite easily to the lakes just below. There is a great photograph of Tunemah Lake on Matthew Holliman's report: http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... -peak.html

Even though the east drop off from the lake is in shadow in the photograph (according to the caption it was taken in the middle of October), it doesn't look too difficult. Probably, the long cross country approach is the most difficult part and why most people don't go. Whether you entered Blue Canyon from Crown Basin via Mantle Pass or took the Tunemah Trail from the Rancheria Trailhead, you'd still have to go over Dykeman Pass and drop into Alpine Creek before climbing back up to the lake-quite a detour. The only direct route from upper Blue Canyon to the lake would be to cross country along the White Divide from Finger Peak and Blue Canyon Pass which is what Holliman did. This appears in his photographs to be considerably technical. For this reason, most people including myself would choose the Dykeman Pass/Alpine Creek route to get to this area. And repeat the feat on the way back. Despite the difficulties in getting there and back, it sounds like an adventure worth taking one day.
AldeFarte
Topix Regular

Lake 10212

Post by AldeFarte »

Rightstar, I visited That lake years ago on a trip from Wishon and thru Blackcap basin. Seems like we went from Valor and around the north side of Reinstein. I recall it was Beautiful and easy. I also recall seeing what I thought at the time was bighorn scat. The lake at that time was teeming with gorgeous 6 to 7 inch rainbow. We watched a guy spend all day decending from Ionian. I climbed up onto Le Conte divide a couple times in those years and it was an interesting "straddle". Very remote at the time. I think one of the most remote backwater areas of the sierra's is everthing west of Kennedy creek and north of Kennedy pass. Gorgeous country.Needs more fish, though. jls :)
sekihiker
Founding Member

Re: Where to next?

Post by sekihiker »

Jeremy wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:37 pm Finally remembered where I had read about Enchanted Gorge. Here is a write-up on it. I have not been there personally, but thought it fit the description of what you're looking for. Good luck.

http://sierrahiker.home.comcast.net/Enc ... index.html
URL is now: http://www.sierrahiker.com/EnchantedGorge/index.html
giantbrookie

Re: Where to next?

Post by giantbrookie »

Neat to recall this thread after 12 years. I hadn't realized that Mav had been wondering about Blue Canyon and the lakes E of Tunemah. As of '07 I hadn't been there but that changed in '08 with what I called the "Tunechuck" trip (which was planned as "Tunepite" but morphed to Tunechuck because a fire burning in Tehepite had it closed down as of when I picked up my wilderness permit). I think of all the remote places I've been in the Sierra, the basin downstream of Tunemah may in fact be my favorite.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;