Hwy 168

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
DannyL
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Hwy 168

Post by DannyL »

Does anyone remember approximately when 168 opened this last spring/summer? I know it's hit or miss year to year. Also if you know of a website that might have history of opening/closing of highways. Thanks.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hwy 168

Post by AlmostThere »

Which one? The east side or the west? Have you checked the national forest service websites?
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

The east side is almost always opened to Sabrina for the trout opener on the last Saturday in April. Only in very unusual circumstances would it not be. the west side over Kaiser pass is a different story and just depends on snowpack.
I have spent considerable time and effort on this due to looking for road access for spring backcountry skiiing, wanting to start trips at the end of April/beginning of May. I have found that fishing info websites are pretty useful for this sort of thing, because of the trout season opening; more people are going up these roads to fish at that time of the year than anything else.
I have not found any source for a general record of road opening dates (if you do, please post it!), but the national parks sometimes have that info for the highways within the parks. Yosemite has that for Tioga Pass and the road to Glacier point. The Forest service is not generally helpful on this, you have to get lucky and find the one person in the office who cares about it and pays attention to it, as the official stance is always "depends on the year, we can't predict it".
DannyL
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by DannyL »

thank you, helpful.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

paul wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:00 amI have not found any source for a general record of road opening dates (if you do, please post it!)
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/clsdlst.htm
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

Nice, thanks.
Wish they would add some of the trailhead roads, like 168, to that.