Recommendations: Class 1 -2 Peak with great approach

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Recommendations: Class 1 -2 Peak with great approach

Post by davidsheridan »

Dear HST community,

I am looking for ideas for 2019 spectacular mountain peak to hike for a group of fit novice/intermediate backpackers.

Here are some general guiding principles:
• 2 day / 1 night backpack location (or 3 day/2 night)
• Beautiful approach hike
• Awesome peak to hike up to.
• Class 1-2
• 12,000 ft elevation peak or lower
• Suitable for 6-8 people sized group
• Bay Area based group looking for California peak (West side approach preferred; or East side, but nothing south of Bishop)

We are a group from the Bay Area that is raising money for a non-profit called Bay Area Wilderness Training. They have a program called ‘Climbing for Kids’ where people like me or you turn our adventure of climbing peaks into a fundraiser for a great cause.
www.bawt.org

Here are the TR’s from the last two 'Climbing for Kids' adventure fundraising trips we took in 2018:
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... 60#p136260
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/getting- ... -sheridan/

Thanks for your ideas! I greatly appreciate your time and expertise!

-David
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Re: Recommendations: Class 1 -2 Peak with great approach

Post by TurboHike »

Alta Peak in Sequoia National Park fits your parameters.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Conness and Mammoth would work in Yosemite. Conness starts with a hike to Young Lakes, then a lay-day hike to Conness, then a hike back out. The only challenge might be getting permits for that large a group--but you could both trail options to get there, and switch routes on the way back out. Mammoth would be the same hiking up Lyell Canyon and then climbing up from there. (I've actually done it as a day-hike from Tuolumne Meadows.)

Other options in Yosemite would include Clouds Rest or Mt. Hoffman, Both offer some of the best views in the Sierra.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

Eagle Peak in Yosemite.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Mount Tallac or Dick's Peak in Desolation Wilderness (Tahoe).
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

From N to S, here are some recommendations.
1. Sierra Buttes. short trail hike then kinda thrilling steel stairway to lookout. One of the best summit views of any high point in CA with Lassen and Shasta to N, Trinity Alps to NW, Coast Ranges including Mt Diablo and well south. Sierra at least as far south as Round Top & Highland Pk (forgot whether I could see to Tower Pk). Drawback: not too good for backpacking because this is much more of short dayhike. But the view is simply stunning....

2. Tallac has been mentioned as a prime Desolation area summit and it is indeed. Pyramid Peak, the high point of Desolation Wilderness is a longer hike w/o trail than Tallac but it is also has a very fine view, too, perhaps better than Tallac because you can look down into the Central Valley and across to the Coast Range in addition to looking down into the Tahoe Basin. For backpacking for Tallac the obvious camp spot is Gilmore Lake. For Pyramid it is Sylvia or Lyons Lake.

3. Highland Peak, Ebbetts Pass area. Fairly long dayhike with class 2 finish. Because of its local topographic prominence this one has fine views to great distances, too. Not great for backpacking spots for this--works best as moderately long dayhike.

4. Leavitt Peak, Sonora Pass area. Easily reached from PCT from Sonora Pass (ie PCT then go off trail). As above three peaks, this is very high relative to nearby mountains so the view is amazing. Not the best for backpacking spots s this works best as a dayhike from Sonora Pass.

5. Mt Dana, Tioga Pass area. Yosemite's 2nd highest peak features a fine view and it is a classic walk up from Tioga Pass, but this one doesn't offer much for a backpacking-connected trip. Whereas my favorite in this area is Mt Conness, I hesitate to recommend it because even the easiest route features a lot of exposure on the final knife edge, granted on wide ledges and an engineered trail. I have seen folks turn back when facing that exposure. As for backpacking-oriented Yosemite-Tioga destinations, a beauty is North Peak where you approach from Saddlebag Lake (check map carefully to choose campsite outside of Hall Natural Area where no camping is permitted). This is a very short hike to camp if using the boat ferry across Saddlebag but the views are gorgeous. Other peaks in Tuolumne area with backpacking prospects: Koip, Parker Peaks (must camp beyond Mono Pass if coming from Dana Meadows). Kuna is also class 2 and more interesting (traverse over top of Koip). Johnson Peak.

6. West flank Hwy 41 access areas one has all of the peaks on the Merced-San Joaquin Divide starting from the south from Madera Peak and including, Gale, Sing, and Triple Divide Peak. These offer abundant nice camp spots either west (Yosemite) or east (Ansel Adams Wilderness)

7. West flanks Hwy 168 access part. Kaiser Peak with camping in Kaiser Wilderness. Three Sisters, the highpoint of Dinkey Lakes Wilderness also works in this context and has more camping possibilities on both sides of it. Spanish Mtn, offers nice camping at the Spanish Lakes or Geraldine Lakes and sits on the north rim of the deepest part of Kings Canyon.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
davidsheridan
Topix Regular

Post by davidsheridan »

Thanks to all for these great suggestions! I am making a list and doing some research!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

One that hasn't been mentioned yet, which is a fun peak to climb with great views, is Matterhorn Peak in northern Yosemite.
Was also going to mention Dana, but is is above 13,000ft.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

davidsheridan wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:19 pm Thanks to all for these great suggestions! I am making a list and doing some research!
Crown Point via Barney Lake & Robinson Lakes is really pretty and below 12K. Class 1 from the vicinity of Snow Lake.

Clouds Rest is best done as a day hike, but has a phenomenal view. The approach is ok from Tenaya Lake, but nothing amazing.

I thought Matterhorn Peak was a scree slog from the standard route, and there are a few places to camp up horse creek but not a ton. I day hiked it.

+1 to Leavitt, Highland.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Satchel Buddah
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Satchel Buddah »

Alta peak is lovely, mix it with one or two nights at Alta meadow, stunning scenery out of the way yet easily accessible, and easy egress if things do not go well. Also helpful to have one night to acclimate to elevation, coming from sea level. There is plenty of space (with amazing views) for group camps in Alta meadow, towards the lower cliffs. No camp fires in Alta meadow and please please teach them about proper LNT. This spot is still quite pristine despite being so accessible.

For anything around 12k feet, if you bring novices you need to be vigilant with altitude sickness and prepare some good words of encouragement.