My wife will be so surprised Christmas morning!

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

My wife will be so surprised Christmas morning!

Post by dave54 »

She has no idea what she bought me from Bass Pro Shops!
:D
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: My wife will be so surprised Christmas morning!

Post by oldranger »

Well I made my wife wrap my gifts from Sportsman's Wearhouse! Of course they pale in comparison to my new electric start power tilt kicker for my fishing boat that I bought for myself. :rolleyes:
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I'm right there with you guys. She won't be surprised by what I bought her for Christmas though. We spent over an hour and a half walking around REI while she decided what new backpack fit the best.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

oldranger wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:17 pm Well I made my wife wrap my gifts from Sportsman's Wearhouse! Of course they pale in comparison to my new electric start power tilt kicker for my fishing boat that I bought for myself. :rolleyes:
Finally bit the bullet. Good job!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Inboard or outboard?
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Jimr wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:25 pm Inboard or outboard?
Jim

I’m the 3rd old fart to own this 17’3” Alumaweld Stryker. I bought the boat complete with several rods,reels, life jackets, two fish finders, one electric downrigger, a couple of large nets, 50 hp + 9.9 Honda motors. Since then I have added bow mount gps controlled electric motor, then new fish finder, then a second electric downrigger, and this year replacing the kicker (not because it doesn’ t work well but because I am getting old). It is a perfect fishing machine for for two people on inland waters and bays. I have fished with 2 other adults and 2 grand kids but the. I just drive the boat and watch the chaos! I’ve caught hundreds of Kokanee (last year a 21 1/2” one), bull trout up to 11 lbs and Mack’s up to 14 lb, also king and silver salmon up to 14 lbs.
I can’t picture myself fishing for salmon any more in Oregon any more due to the desperate state of fish stocks. From my perspective all fishing for salmon in the Lower 48 (commercial and sport) should be halted until fish stocks can be reestablisbed. The causes of depleted stocks are not just over fishing but controlling take is one of the few thing that could have immediate impact on the the preservation of salmon runs. I know this is much more than an answer to your question so please forgive an old man who see the passing of days gone by and would like to preserve some of that for my grandkids. I fear that what is happening to our ocean cold water fish will soon be reflected in Sierra fish populations. Then the controversy of fish vs frogs will become moot. In other words many of us are fighting the wrong battle. I can’t believe I went off on this tangent!
:-({|= :soapbox:
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Nice tangent! We haven't been able to Abalone dive for a year and they might close it next year. I think it's good to give the ocean a break. Mike, what battle should we be fighting?