Rock Slides this Year

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Rock Slides this Year

Post by maverick »

Is it just me or are there much more rock slide this year than others in
the past.
Every where I stayed there was at least 2 big rock slides during
the day or evening.
It made me move much quicker when passing thru a ravine choked
full of boulders.
At Observation Lakes a big rockslide came crashing down over my
intended route which I was to take 3 hours later, sure had me on edge
the whole trip since every day I passed thru huge boulder fields.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Interesting (and a little scary!). I wonder if the low snowpack might have something to do with it?
TwoFortyJeff
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by TwoFortyJeff »

I heard quite a few in the evening or in the morning. I think changing temperatures somehow had an effect.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

We were on Kuna Peak, and heard lots of rockfalls, not just one or two, but a LOT!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

I vaguely recall hearing a few small ones this summer up in Pine Creek and Bear Creek upper basins. I've heard and seen a lot over the years. Probably more in the Pallisades area than anywhere else. There are some places in the Sierra with enormous amounts of talus. Not places one wants to be anytime one of the uncommon earthquakes occur. On the top of my list would probably be Disappearing Creek canyon and next Convict Creek canyon. Supposedly after the Mammoth volcanic quakes a couple decades ago, huge dust clouds rose above that canyon. ...David
will_jrob
Topix Acquainted

Post by will_jrob »

Hi, I did an overnight in Hoover Wilderness last week, and there were several noticeable noisy nighttime slides, but then these critters were up on the mountainside.
title="Photo Sharing"[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1108/121 ... 6ea5_o.jpg width="385" height="383" alt="Bighorn3Hoover" [img]
Ranboze
Topix Regular

Post by Ranboze »

I was at the Darwin Lakes about a month ago. There were numerous rock falls down the Ice Nine route of Mendel, Id say at least one every 45 minutes.
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.