So cal snow report

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

So cal snow report

Post by overheadx2 »

Just a heads up for the so cal group, drove to Big Bear today to try and do some shoeing or skiing. About a foot at Big Bear 7k’, so the northwest (fawnskin) side and Jenks Lake are out due to the mud below 7k’. 2 x 3’ of snow at the 8k mark so Onyx summit and sugar loaf areas seem to be the place to be. Headed there in the AM to try and get some skiing in.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Re: So cal snow report

Post by overheadx2 »

So I headed up to Onyx summit by big bear. The snow was incredible today by so cal standards. 2 to 3 foot and pretty dry. I didn’t hike very far since the wife and do were struggling a little. Probably hiked 3 to 4 miles before we turned around. Hiked the fire road just north of Onyx summit that goes to sugar loaf peak. no tracks and some pretty deep snow. If you are looking for some good XC snow it’s there right now.
BB5816F3-7180-47D9-9C5B-596069E51B27.jpeg
603AA43B-B116-4E4B-A7EB-7555F506E2FC.jpeg
1E117186-BA4B-4A37-9624-94AD8EFFEB12.jpeg
130E1C54-F5EC-426C-A6E8-274006E868EC.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Nice photos. Now to the snow gods, praying for a constant supply through April.
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

Thanks for snow report...How do I get there from West LA?10 to138?
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Dave, yes, you take the 10 to the 38 out of mentone and stay on it till you get to Onyx summit which is about 10 miles from big bear. The large parking area on the south side of the road at the summit will get you to Onyx peak Fire road. The fire road I was on is about a mile further and on the north side of the road and leads to sugarloaf peak. Sugar loaf road is on the east side of the ridge and therefore hold snow better and longer. I would definitely wait for a storm before going there to ski or snow shoe as I assume most of the snow is gone by now. Phil
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

Thanks Phil...believe it or not it takes me about 3 hrs to get there from West LA...
What is elevation at the parking lot?Do they clear the roads well and promptly after storms?Lots of traffic?Thanks...
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

It depends, if it’s just a foot or so, it is usually cleared pretty well with parking cleared as well. If it’s 2-3 feet they will clear the roads, but take care of town before they worry about high way parking. I’ve found that I try to get there by 9. By that time the snow has loosened up, but the crowds have not come up the mountain yet. Onyx summit is approximately 8k and the highest road access in the area. In comparison, Big Bear is about 7k. It could be good next weekend or this Sunday.