Maverick's 2019 Annual 7/25-7/26 HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Maverick's 2019 Annual 7/25-7/26 HST Meet-up

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Mav,
Hmmm, not sure this one is going to rank high on Joy's list. In spite of what Mike and Daisy have commented, getting up either hillside is a decent aerobic feat (at least for me), especially, if you're lugging the type of pack I usually carry. But, I can certainly see this being an exciting day hike from Big Bird or even Lonely Lake (or anywhere in Deadman or Cloud canyons), so I hope you get a good turnout. We'll see if we can make it! Cameron
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Sounds good CG, looking forward to finally seeing you guys again.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

I crossed Glacier Ridge 12 years ago and visited the two lower lakes on the west side which are the proposed meeting places (see: http://www.sierrahiker.com/GlacierRidge/index.html). Despite the steepness on both sides, the west side was not a dangerous ascent. The descent from Josephine was difficult.

On the other hand a visit to Josephine Lake in 1994 was a different matter. The trip up to and down from Josephine Lake was a piece of cake (see: http://www.sierrahiker.com/RoaringRiver/index.html).

I hope to be attending the meetup. I'm more worried about the descent than the ascent.
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted

Post by Saltydog »

Hey I'd love to make this: Cloud Cyn/Colby Pass is on my route for this summer.

Am I the only one confused by the early references to "Glacier Divide"? :derp: Shouldn't it be "Glacier Ridge"? GD is miles away, up near Humphries Basin.
Last edited by Saltydog on Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Am the only one confused by the early references to "Glacier Divide"? Shouldn't it be "Glacier Ridge"? GD is miles away, up near Humphries Basin.
My bad, fixed. Thanks.

Hope to see you and Sekihiker there. :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

I am probably not making this one, depends on when the snow kind of melts. I am planning a 9 maybe 11 day trip into Ionian Basin and surrounding peaks and it will most likely be during this time as it is a great warmup for the Sierra challenge. But if snow is decent sooner then I may be able to do both, as I really want Milestone/ Table/Thunder/ Kern point etc! Maverick you will probably make this one if I don’t!
Kristine
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Maverick you will probably make this one if I don’t!
:)
We saw each other at 2016 Meet-up, hopefully it will again happen this year Kristine.

Hope you will consider joining me in Sept with a trip to the Minarets Kristine, I have some unfinished business in that area, and anyone else who is interested in joining me in trying to get closure for the Greene Family is welcome.

Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

for an hour!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

FYI for folks approaching from Deadman. I found the best route is to head up the side of the canyon from 100 yards or so n of lower Ranger Meadow. Negotiating the brush can be challenging. A couple of times I made all the right turns and a couple of times I didn't. Anyhow you work your way up to the outlet stream then parallel the stream with out crossing it. There was always one 10 ft. high face with a ledge across it that has to be negotiated. I was always able to negotiate it with my pack on going up but lowered my pack down with my bear hang rope on the way down. Other than this one place it was basically a steep walk up to the lakes. The low ridge to the w. of the lowest lake provides a splended view of Deadman, Big Bird Peak, and Barton Ridge.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

I just got the dates cleared with my work, and so I'm planning to be at this year's meetup. Yay!

My tentative plan is to enter and exit via Rowell TH (or maybe Marvin TH). I'll go to Beville Lake >> cross-country to Tablelands >> Pterodactyl Pass >> Horn Col >> Deadman Canyon >> side trip to The Meetup >> Sugarloaf trail to finish. It's still five months away, so I'm certain this plan will evolve.