Pace on the trail

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Pace on the trail

Post by Wandering Daisy »

rlown- don't be the Christmas Grinch. Or Thanksgiving Grinch? Plenty of threads in the "campfire" section have been just as much "going nowhere" as this one. Just a bit of fun.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

C'mon WD. I have quite a collection:
PB110848.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey WD, thanks for the defense, though I like rlown, he still scares me- he's a well-armed man.

In my own defense, I think many of us are interested in endurance hiking and climbing. I have a crap back at times, and my plan for the 6th and 7th decades is to mix heavy backpacking trips with relatively long day trips. To give you an idea, (and I would love to hear others) one day I want to try to go over Southfork Pass, and hike the High Route through to Knapsack and Bishop Passes, then down to Bishop to rehydrate with beers.

To that end, I am necessarily interested in all the elements of endurance training and planning. I am keen to learn more about pacing, along the lines discussed by WD and longri, and others; and crazy endurance races, and yes- even mythic/historic efforts by heroic Greeks fit loosely in too.
... and I love to b.s. online- hope I'm not breaking any rules. :smirk:
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

longri wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:36 am
I was dreaming last night that when I flapped my arms really hard and kicked like a swimmer I could fly around for a few minutes 30-40 feet off the ground. I knew I was dreaming in my dream as I've had similar dreams so many times before. It just made me kick harder.
longri, I used to have the exact same dream quite often when I was younger. The breast stroke gets you better lift.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Russ,
I knew there was an inner grinch in there somewhere ;-)
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.