maps for Washington Cascades?

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

maps for Washington Cascades?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am contemplating doing some backpacking in the Cascades next summer and wonder if there is the equivalent of "Caltopo" for Washington. Or any other free map programs.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: maps for Washington Cascades?

Post by rlown »

I don't use caltopo, but I just checked it out and it appears to be able to zoom in on Washington.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Caltopo covers the entire United States, all of Canada except the very northern parts, and New Zealand! It even covers the rest of the world using the Google and OpenStreetMap layers.
-Phil
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Acmemapper dopes the same.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Thanks! Does either Caltopo or Acemapper incorporate recent locations of trails? Or do they just use the USGS 7.5 minute maps, which depending on dates, can have wrong trail locations or trails that are no longer maintained.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:32 pm Thanks! Does either Caltopo or Acemapper incorporate recent locations of trails? Or do they just use the USGS 7.5 minute maps, which depending on dates, can have wrong trail locations or trails that are no longer maintained.
USGS 7.5 but on the left side of the map in the sidebar labeled pre set layers, you can click on other maps including Forest Service. Also of interest is the Slope Angle Shading map that gives you an idea of how steep the landscape is. The printing possibilities are endless and U Tube is helpful in explaining all the features possible.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Have you used this site?

https://data.fs.usda.gov/geodata/raster ... states.php

Covers National Forest lands. So the interior of the NP is not covered. If the tiniest fraction of a quad has NF lands, the entire quad is available. Otherwise not listed.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Thanks. I checked out the web site and the maps look good. Too bad it only covers FS land. I have a friend who has done the PCT and she has all the information on that trail, but if I backpack in the Cascades I probably will not spend a lot of time on the PCT- would rather do several loop trips to specific destinations.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Wandering Daisy asks:
Does either Caltopo or Acemapper incorporate recent locations of trails?
In Caltopo, if you click on the top right drop-down menu and then click the checkbox for "Mapbuilder Overlay", it will add the trails and roads from OpenStreetMap onto the USGS topos. I've found these trails reasonably up-to-date for Sierra areas.
-Phil