New to the Sierra

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: New to the Sierra

Post by oleander »

Hi Suki,

Check this out: A blog on dog-friendly backpacking trails in the Sierra, written by Brian, a forumer here:
www.calitrails.com

Where do you live? That might affect the places we recommend you go. Most places north of Yosemite, for instance, allow dogs, but that is probably unreasonably far to travel for most Southern Californians.

- Oleander
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Not sure this would work, but if you have 20 contiguous days, is it possible to only take the dog on parts? Do you have someone who could care for the dog until you get to areas where dogs are allowed? Unfortunately, a dog-friendly continuous thru-route in the Sierra is difficult because so much is in National Parks. The east of the crest of the Sierra is very steep fault scarp not suitable for north-south travel, the crest itself is full of technical climbing and the west side has trails but the two large National Parks do not allow dogs. You may be better off planning a loop trip (or two loops) instead of one long thru-hike.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Or just get your dog classified as an emotional support animal :D
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
SuKi
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by SuKi »

Wandering Daisy, that's not possible, but I have already changed plans considerably for a hike through. Looking like Ill start On the North Fork from Big Pine Lakes, over Jigsaw Pass, turn north around South and Sabrina lakes, over Piute Pass, and through Piute Canyon to meet up with the JMT and continue on to June Lake, or maybe farther north. Hopefully this'll pan out, but I still have three or four months before looking for permits.

C9h13no3, I already looked into this, not that I want to be unethical or anything :wink: It's my understanding that even as an Emotional Support Animal, Lily wouldn't be allowed in National Parks. They only allow Service Animals with an actual job they perform. Oh well.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

This is not a 100% law, but in general dogs are forbidden in national park trails and allowed in national forest trails. However, there are specific pieces of wilderness within the national forests where they are forbidden.

Despite that, I photographed a beagle that was going up the Mount Whitney Trail. It was with a trail crew, and it had badges on its harness to claim legality. That crushed granite has to be pretty tough on dog paws.
SuKi
Topix Novice

Post by SuKi »

That might be my only concern really, her paws. We use Mushers Secret, and have never had a problem before on any terrain. She's not a fan of dog booties, but she does have a full set on the chance that she cuts a pad so that it stays clean. Honestly keeping her healthy and comfortable is just as much a concern as keeping me comfortable. Not only for her health and happiness, I really would not want to carry an extra 70 pounds to get to the nearest trail head :D
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I got some booties for Simba and he hates them, so i'm working on that. I'll carry them in case of a bad situation. I also carry an InReach device and will use it to get the dog airlifted out if he has an issue. Much like you, I don't want to carry out an extra 75 lbs.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

SuKi wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:56 pm Wandering Daisy, that's not possible, but I have already changed plans considerably for a hike through. Looking like Ill start On the North Fork from Big Pine Lakes, over Jigsaw Pass
North Fork Big Pine is quite hard to get permits for on a weekend. I swear bots are on the site. Plan to enter on a Wednesday or something, or use the South Fork & Contact Pass (or Bishop Pass) as a backup permit option.

And keep in mind that Jigsaw Pass is not to be **** with. You can get in some hairy terrain if you get off route.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Jigsaw Pass is serious buisness. I wouldnt consider taking a dog over it. Instead, you could hug the western boundry of kings canyon going rancheria->crown basin->blackcap basin->bench valley->red mountain basin-> JMT. Quite a bit of cross country but you could end your trip with it, and is more intuitive than trying to force a route from big pine creek.

You can easily spend all of your planed time between North Lake and June Lake, zig zagging around. There is a high sierra topix map which lists all the cross country passes you can use for reference. If I were to take a dog on a cross country hike, I would be heavily researching the routes. Winding your way through an endless sea of large talus with a dog can be difficult, and dangerous. You really need to know what you are doing.
SuKi
Topix Novice

Post by SuKi »

Sparky, My next four months are researching and routing. I also do plan to spend a few weeklong excursions playing the zig zag game around humphries basin and other areas. I really do not intend to put myself or Lily in harms way by not being prepared and going in too far over our heads. But without pushing a little, the rewards are not as great.