Taboose to Dumbbell: Kings Canyon NP

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
peninsula
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Taboose to Dumbbell: Kings Canyon NP

Post by peninsula »

Recently returned from my annual Sierra backpack trip. If any of you are interested in Taboose Pass, Cartridge Pass, Lake Basin, Dumbbell Pass and Dumbbell Lakes Basin, this trip entails all of the above. http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/3 ... -Park.html
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice report and photos. No doubt Lakes Basin gets more traffic than expected for an off trail destination that is more than a day from a trailhead. It does get publicized quite a bit and is part of the High Route. I am not sure why folks who are going off trail and have the freedom go anywhere feel compelled to hit the same spots, but it makes the other spots--such as the Dumbbells--better for the rest of us. My wife and I camped in the Dumbbells basin for three nights (at about the same place you camped) just kicking back and the only folks we saw were when we were up at one of the upper lakes and saw some folks coming through Dumbbell Pass from Lakes Basin. We never met them because we had descended to our campsite by the time they must of reached the upper lakes and I think the upper lakes were as far as they went. Speaking of fish, did you happen to hit the rectangular shaped lake above the twin lakes you camped at?
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peninsula
Topix Regular

Post by peninsula »

Thanks giantbrookie,

Yes, I did fish that lake. I found the fish to be larger than those by my campsite, but not by much. There well may have been bigger fish to be had, but I did not see any larger cruisers, and the largest I caught went 11 inches. I checked out all of the lakes except the upper most location, and I found the three I fished to be teaming with many undersized fish, giving me the impression of being generally overpopulated. One thing for sure, the fish in Dumbbell were much more aggressive going for the fly as compared to those in Lake Basin. I had fun even if I have yet to catch the ever-elusive 18 incher I know is waiting for me out there somewhere! My only regret on this trip is I did not have more time in Dumbbell. It really is a sweet place.
http://www.summitpost.org/image/324284/ ... inbow.html
Kerstin
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Kerstin »

Great trip report and beautiful photos!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Peninsula,
Great report! And, like Giantbrookie (and you), I'm surprised at the "crowds" in Marion Lakes Basin, but I'm glad there's still solitude in the "Dumbbells". I've always like the area up there, too, because unless you're Super-man/woman, it requires a minimum of a couple of high exertion days to reach that area (and the surrounding lakes), and that does tend to keep the impact pretty low. Anyway, if you liked the Dumbells, I (and, as Giantbrookie pointed out in a thread I started on remote and stunning lakes) strongly recommend including Amphitheater Lake on a future visit (and, if feasible, Lake 10565, a bit north and west of the Dumbbells). I'll look forward to your next detailed report (even if it's not till next year)!
cgundersen
peninsula
Topix Regular

Post by peninsula »

Thanks Kersitn and cgundersen,

I did take notice of Amphitheater lake and the the surrounding basin. The are does look attractive. I'll definitely put it down on my list of future visits. I'll keep Lake 10,565 in mind as well. Thanks for the tip!

peninsula
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Thank you for the photos and report. You deserve a big WOW! for doing 14 miles on your first day, packing all that weight and living where you do. I was tired my second day out a couple weeks ago where 11 of my 15 miles the second day out were down hill and I only had 31 lbs for a week long trip.

I was planning on a trip next summer out of South Lake heading south on a loop trip. Not all your passes show on the one map I was looking at while reading your report. I was looking at the T Harrison J Muir Trail map-pack. Maybe my bigger map will show all the passes. I look for beautiful spots with fishing and a spot to pitch a shelter unless the bugs and weather are such where I can forgo that. Thanks again.
Piece of cake.
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

hikerduane wrote:You deserve a big WOW! for doing 14 miles on your first day, packing all that weight and living where you do.
Actually the 14 miles are but part of it. The more than 6000 feet of gain up a very rough trail is what makes that a truly epic day one. Yes, that guy is in good shape.

I know one motivation, though. One needs to reach a decent place to fish on day 1 (in addition to having to get to all the planned destinations on the trip within the number of days alloted).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peninsula
Topix Regular

Post by peninsula »

giantbrookie wrote:
hikerduane wrote:You deserve a big WOW! for doing 14 miles on your first day, packing all that weight and living where you do.
Actually the 14 miles are but part of it. The more than 6000 feet of gain up a very rough trail is what makes that a truly epic day one. Yes, that guy is in good shape.

I know one motivation, though. One needs to reach a decent place to fish on day 1 (in addition to having to get to all the planned destinations on the trip within the number of days alloted).
Thanks for the kudos. It was a test of my will to make that first day, but I was prepared camp on the east side of Taboose had I been feeling the need. And yes, Bench Lake was definitely a very big incentive. Having two nights at Bench while recuperating made the first-day's effort well worth the suffering. And for those of you who have not tried using Diamox, I can testify this drug makes all the difference in reducing AMS. Anyone should consult their physician first, but it is a must-have on my list. That said, without plenty of water, regular power-bar snacks, and reasonable physical conditioning, Diamox would be far less effective if not dangerous.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Nice page on SP! Congratulations on a great trip! We loved that area.

I carry Diamox with me, and had to use it twice this year so far. It works!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;