A Salute To The Old Guard

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: A Salute To The Old Guard

Post by SSSdave »

Thanks Eric, disgusting how our later years pass by so quickly, like a bowling ball accelerating rolling down from the top of Clouds Rest.

Here is one from those old days with numbers of the old guard.

"Baddest Trail"

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=480&hilit=2004
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

HST has always been a goldmine of high Sierra information. I've always been so grateful to be a part of this terrific community. Thanks to Eric and the moderators for keeping it that way.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Eric,

Thanks so much for running this site. This is the only electronic bulletin board I regularly visit (I do not do the usual social media, for example). I remember joining long ago in the days I still had my little website running. Over the years I'd field questions about High Sierra fishing and the like through my website, but I 'moved' so to speak over to Topix and I've never left (and my internet provider pulled the plug on my website). Even for someone who has hiked for so long and to so many places in the Sierra I continually find new and interesting information posted on Topix. That is one of the great things about the site: it has something for everyone of all experience and ability levels. The congeniality of folks who regularly post has also been consistently high-- My daughter asked me why there wasn't one of those absurd rating system or such on the board (as there are on all of the communities she is connected to online) and I told her because that wasn't the point and such things are ultimately harmful. We don't post on here for for kudos or popularity. We post to help others enjoy the High Sierra and you (Eric) have run this forum to achieve this goal.

Thanks Again,

John (aka Giantbrookie)
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by AaronRDavis »

I too appreciate what amounts to hundreds of years of combined wisdom about the Sierra that can be found in the posts of the regular members here.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

I already posted on this thread, but I want to make another one since so much has been said. I would much rather post on HST any day over FB or any other social media. The quality of the threads, posts, and community is richer and significantly more substantive than the mercurial and superficial nature of the posts I see on FB. The posts on HST mean something. It is a real special place and community.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

AaronRDavis wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:51 am ... what amounts to hundreds of years of combined wisdom about the Sierra.
More like thousands of year's experience...
Has been a great ride though...thanks Eric!
mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular

Post by oldhikerQ »

Hats off to everyone who keeps this site going. Can't remember how i found this originally, but i'm sure glad that i did.
It has been an invaluable source of information. What a great community.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

oldhikerQ wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:15 pm Hats off to everyone who keeps this site going. Can't remember how i found this originally, but i'm sure glad that i did.
It has been an invaluable source of information. What a great community.
X2
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fish4gold
Topix Regular

Post by fish4gold »

Eric, I can't thank you enough for all of the information you've been instrumental in making available in this site! I used to think the High Sierra only had little fish. Then I stumbled across the website that Giantbrookie had back in the day, and it truly opened up my fishing world! I too am getting older now, and wish I had know all of this sooner. BUT, had it not been to you guys, I would still be stumbling around in the dark. A truly great forum!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Fish4gold
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Double big thanks to Eric and all who maintain this site. I'm constantly impressed with the level of experience here and the -- usually -- respectful discussions. I don't check in as often as I used to but the occasional reminder link from threads usually gets me to link and see what's happening.

Thanks!