An elderly hiker's trips for 2018

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

An elderly hiker's trips for 2018

Post by sekihiker »

At age 73 [or any other age for that matter] one can't take anything for granted. The question over last winter was whether I would be hiking at all in 2018. After cancer surgery and hormone therapy, would I have the strength and continence to hike? Fortunately, I became continent fairly quickly and the strength slowly returned.
If nothing else, I hope this year's report may show youngsters what is possible for elderly hikers and inspire them to keep in shape for continued years of hiking pleasure. I'm still doing some cross country but seldom over gnarly territory [Laurel Lake to Grinnell Lake being an exception].
My biggest day this summer was 15 miles and I was totally whipped at the end of that day.
My website has pretty much dropped off the Google radar. I think I still have information that's worthwhile so I keep the website up. If you have never visited, give sierrahiker.com a shot.
For those who are curious about where I went this summer, visit: http://www.sierrahiker.com/Hiking2018/index.html
I have no maps in the reports, but if you click an observation link at the end of each section and select "Map" [above the pictures], it will show my approximate route for the day.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Re: An elderly hiker's trips for 2018

Post by Tom_H »

Congratulations! Very Happy For You!
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Yes, you are an inspiration, at least for me. After cancer and surgery, I had the same questions and found I can still manage to get to the high country and revel in the solitude (trip reports coming either the end of this month or early November).

Please keep your website up. I still use it as a research reference (my Brewer Basin trip in August) and simply enjoy reading the reports.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Bill, thank you for sharing this with HST. Backpacking makes us feel invincible when the truth is we are all susceptible to age and disease. We should never take for granted our health and ability to hike. Each day is precious and we never know if it's going to be our last.

Whenever I google place names in the High Sierra I still see your website in the results, though not as frequently as before. It's an excellent reference and the pictures are beautiful.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Glad you're still getting out there. And your Lewisia leeana project is very cool.
My website has pretty much dropped off the Google radar. I think I still have information that's worthwhile so I keep the website up. If you have never visited, give sierrahiker.com a shot.
I have spent many hours over the last couple decades (!) browsing, and being inspired by, Bill's trip reports. For anyone who isn't familiar with it, do check it out.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

TehipiteTom wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:43 am I have spent many hours over the last couple decades (!) browsing, and being inspired by, Bill's trip reports. For anyone who isn't familiar with it, do check it out.
Thanks for the plug, Tom.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Fifteen miles in a day? That's hard work! Thanks for posting this
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Hello Bill. I've been looking at your website since the early days of the WWW and it has been an inspiration and useful resource of information. This month of October, before Halloween, I will be joining you into the 8th decade club. Not something I want to think about as it is more frightening than any spook over this coming holiday. Good to read you have more than just survived your bout with C. It is something we elderly folk who have otherwise been healthy fear most that could at any time most radically change our limited remaining time in this precious existence. We share an understanding of the value of use it or lose it as there is a tendency for unused body functions to atrophy if not regularly used. And even when used, we notice a gradual tendency for areas to become more sore and for longer periods after use.

This last week I have been mostly home bound after a bout with plantar fascitis for the first time in my life. Over decades, have had especially sore feet many times but such has always recovered in a day or three. This time after my fall leaf road trip last week, the big ligament apparently was actually injured, inflamed at the attachment point to the heel bone. Almost healed now and I'll be back out in the field maybe by midweek though wary of re-injury.

In the last few years, even just carrying 20# to 30# on day hikes, I rarely choose to go more than say 9 miles or 5 miles with my heavy backpack, as I've learned it can cause more soreness than is healthy. But there is much one can do limited hiking to 5 miles a day since in retirement, we are not in any hurry for a need to get back to civilization.

I would welcome joining you and any other's in our club doing a leisurely one day to destination base camping backpack into some favorite flowery place in the Sierra next summer of 2019.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

rightstar76 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:12 am Bill, thank you for sharing this with HST. Backpacking makes us feel invincible when the truth is we are all susceptible to age and disease. We should never take for granted our health and ability to hike. Each day is precious and we never know if it's going to be our last.

Whenever I google place names in the High Sierra I still see your website in the results, though not as frequently as before. It's an excellent reference and the pictures are beautiful.
Thanks for the kind words.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Tom_H wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:32 pm Congratulations! Very Happy For You!
Thanks for the positive words.