A Salute To The Old Guard

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

A Salute To The Old Guard

Post by ERIC »

October 25, 2005. That's when we relaunched HST after getting hacked by the Russians in 2004. Here's to the members who rejoined or joined shortly thereafter and have stuck around and remained active through thick and thin for the past 18 YEARS! I realize this is a partial list, so please add on to the list if you or someone you know is an active founding member! And be sure to use the "@" symbol before their username so they get notified to this thread. :)

@markskor
@copeg
@dave54
@@ridgeline
@norcalhiker
@ironmike
@BSquared
@gcj
@Jim F
@jdub
@try
@stanbery
@ndwoods
@hikerduane
@dodgerbill55
@jimqpublic
@gdurkee
@freestone
@Shawn
@SSSdave
@DJG
@mountaineer
@will_jrob
@caddis
@streamer
@Take-a-Hike
@sekihiker
@The Other Tom
@giantbrookie
@Timberline
@PhilB
@nazdarovye
@calipidder
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
hikerduane
Founding Member

Re: A Salute To The Old Guard

Post by hikerduane »

Short list Eric. I'm afraid I don't post much, too much talent and brains here for me to keep up with.
Duane
Piece of cake.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

A big THANKS to you, Eric!!
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Wasn't aware this place existed back then; but like Texas I got here as fast as I could! Thanks to all!
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I wasn't here before the hack but joined July 19 2006.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
ironmike
Topix Regular

Post by ironmike »

Ha! That is interesting. Like Duane, surprised to see my “name” in that short list though I’m more of an erstwhile poster. But I do remember those pre-2005 days when Snow Nymph and the Schmunk brothers were regulars.

Quite an accomplishment for HST to be such a fixture in the Internet mountaineering community for that long. Congrats and thanks to the founders for fostering such a valuable and enduring resource for Sierra lovers.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Yes, incredible this site has been going for over 13 years. To Eric and the Old Guard, a hearty thanks. If it wasn't for all of your hard work, dedication, and participation, HST wouldn't be the amazing place it is. Thanks again.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I guess that I was a little behind the first wave. Joined:Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:56 pm

Like mentioned above I miss some of the old regular posters. Things have changed over the years specially with social media coming into being. I still enjoy the forum format and being able to read your reports.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Eric, Thank you for the shout out and also to all the other founders, moderators, contributors (new and old!) and site developers for continuing to keep this site interesting and relevant. Still getting up into the alpine Sierra, posting about it, and reading other contributors, with no plans of changing that anytime soon.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Hard to believe its been that long. Many thanks to everyone that's contributed over the years! (almost forgot my username used to be trailblazer until I went and revisited some of my first few posts)