How crowded will Yosemite be next week?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TonyC
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

How crowded will Yosemite be next week?

Post by TonyC »

I know this board isn't mainly focused on Yosemite, but I'm taking my first trip out to the Sierra next week and I'm trying to decide if I want to make a side trip to Yosemite.

I looked at the forecast and I'm surprised how hot it will be, even at the moderate elevations of 5000 feet or so. But I'm mainly concerned about the crowds...I know August is one of the busiest months, but have many of the kids in CA gone back to school yet? Do you think it is a "bad" time to check out Yosemite or should I just go for it?

I want to do the Clouds Rest hike and I've read that one isn't as crowded as some of the others. But if even driving through the park will be bumper to bumper traffic, I may want to wait until a future trip to check it out.

Any opinions? Thanks....
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

If you have never seen Yosemite, go regardless! Kids are starting to dribble back to school, but I doubt the majority are back in yet. Usually they are back in school after labor day. The Clouds Rest hike is great. Aside from that, a trip thru the valley and thru Tuolumne Meadows won't disappoint. It will be hot in the valley, and the falls won't be running right now. The drive on 120 will be not bumper to bumper at all, but you will get stuck behind a motorhome guaranteed. Just plan to relax and enjoy and don't stress and you will love it! Dee
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

I agree with Dee.... you definately want to visit if you've never been there. It's beautiful.

Actually, it may not be so bad... crowd-wise. I think a lot of the schools are starting earlier. One of my neices in SoCal is starting High School next week. Up here in Washington, we typically start later than SoCal, but the school my sister teaches at is starting before Labor Day. I was there almost two weeks ago, and I'm sure you'll have less crowds than we did.

If you're thinking about attempting Half Dome, try to go up on a weekday, and start early in the morning...4:00 or 5:00 AM is not too early! you'll have waaayyyy less people, plus it'll be cooler on your way down. You may want to pack along some gloves for the cables. There is usually a pile of old, disgarded gloves at the base of the cables, but they're pretty disgusting.

If you have time, drive up to Glacier Point. It's a wonderful view of the whole valley, with clear views of Nevada and Vernal Falls leading up to Half Dome, with a full scene of the Sierra as a backdrop... a beautiful view spot. On your way down and back to the valley, be sure to stop just on the other side of the long tunnel for "Tunnel View".... there's a pull-out on the opposite side of the road (if you're heading away from Glacier Point). It's another great view sport of the Valley from a bit of a different angle.

As Dee said, Yosemite Falls was all but dried up two weeks ago, and bridelveil Fall had only a whisp of water, but Nevada and Vernal Falls are still very pretty. The Mist Trail climbs up these two falls, and is a beautiful way to start a Half Dome hike, but also a very nice, short hike in it's own rite.

Have a wonderful time!!!
Rosie
TonyC
Topix Novice

Post by TonyC »

Hey well I made reservations for Thurs and Fri night campsites in Yosemite Valley, so I guess I'm going to try it, despite the crowds. I'd rather stay in the higher elevations in the park, but I couldn't get a campground there.

I may try to snag one of the non-reservable ones and just eat the $20 reservation for one of the other nights. But I do want to camp at least one night in the valley, just for the experience of it although it may not be a great one if there are too many loud and obnoxious campers near me.

I definitely plan to drive to Glacier Point and I will attempt the Clouds Rest hike if I am not too wiped out from Onion Valley - Kearsarge pass a couple of days before, which is my top priority hike. I'm not in my prime hiking shape, I don't know how wiped out my body will get, but hopefully it will hang in there. If not, I will do an easier Yosemite hike.

For some reason, I have no desire to do Half Dome. I just picture that traffic jam on the cables and it doesn't seem that fun to me. I know there will be people on the Clouds Rest trail but maybe it won't be a crowded super highway like Half Dome probably would be.

So I plant to spend two nights at Onion Valley, then two nights in Yosemite, and then the next two nights, I'll maybe stay near Rock Creek or Whitney Portal or somewhere in that general area. I wanted to leave at least a couple of days free to be flexible, and I just hope I can find a good campsite for those two days at the last minute.

I may do the Mosquito Flats to Gem Lakes (Morgan Pass Trail) next weekend....but I hear it is super popular too. But I figure the lack of elevation gain may be necessary after my big two hikes in the days before.
calvin23
Topix Acquainted

Yosemite

Post by calvin23 »

I did Half Dome 2 wednesdays ago in early afternoon and the line wasn't too bad. No gloves available but my hands were OK. When i got to top, there were only a dozen people on top.
The major falls were all dry.
Clouds Rest is definitely worth the effort