Weird event

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Weird event

Post by oldranger »

On our last night in the Sawtooths I forgot to set out my spot locator with the I'm ok message until bedtime. Since it shuts off automatically I didn't worry about it and left it out overnight. Next morning it was gone! A cursory search turned up nothing. After breakfast Matt and i conducted a systematic grid search and after a few minutes I spotted it, at least 50 feet from the location I had placed it, 20 feet lower and past 2 10 ft. Wide rock benches. What kind of critter would be interested in a spot located that would be capable of moving the locator that far?
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
limpingcrab
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Weird event

Post by limpingcrab »

f35ae897bab275fa3cb9834db625dba4.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thebrenner
Topix Acquainted

Post by Thebrenner »

i want to know too! I had a similar experience earlier this summer on west side of Sierra. I accidentally left my in-reach out al night and in the morning had to hunt around for it.... Eventually found it in the bushes....all the buttons were chewed off! The next day my mug was gone! It took me three days to learn my lesson...
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

I carry my inReach in a lightly padded orange bag. To power it up, I remove it from the bag, then place the empty bag on top of a rock, then place the inReach on top so that its antenna is pointed upward slightly. Due to the placement on a rock and the bag color, it never takes me long to look for it. Plus, when I use it, I am generally within earshot of it so that I can hear when it makes its beep for signal completion.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Marmots?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

I wonder what the attraction was? Salt and oil from the skin? Color? Electronic? Potentially snackable curiosity?
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Post by RichardCullip »

Perhaps E.T. tried to phone home.....
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

RichardCullip wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:18 pm Perhaps E.T. tried to phone home.....
Let's try to stay reasonable here....no other logical conclusion can be drawn other than Bigfoot. Or at least Gnomes.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Racoons are pretty curious creatures...
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

mrphil wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:29 pm
RichardCullip wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:18 pm Perhaps E.T. tried to phone home.....
Let's try to stay reasonable here....no other logical conclusion can be drawn other than Bigfoot. Or at least Gnomes.
Or Matt playing a joke on dear ol' dad.