How Do You Deal With Dry Cracked Skin On Trail

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

How Do You Deal With Dry Cracked Skin On Trail

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I just got back from an 18 day trip in the Sierra, and all but my pinky fingers are much the worse for it. In the past, I had always assumed that the issues with dry cracked skin could be prevented by using moisturizer while hiking if only I could remember to bring some (like using lip balm on my lips). However, I did bring moisturizer and used it, but still ended up with cracked skin on my fingertips. Is there some secret? Is there a specefic type of moisturizer I should use? Suggestions appreciated greatly.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: How Do You Deal With Dry Cracked Skin On Trail

Post by rlown »

I use Eucerin Sensitive skin everyday protection face lotion. It is also UVA + UVB SPF 30.
As I fish, my hands usually take the brunt, but it is great on the face and neck as well.
I put it on before i fish, then again during lunch, and at night. If it is really bad (sun) I put it on and then my glacier gloves.
I think I got that tip from AT.

Russ
mort
Topix Regular

Post by mort »

I don't know that anything saves your hands after 18 days! I always have a tube of A&D ointment in the side pocket of my pack. (In the bear can at night.) A very thin application after washing my hands or otherwise when my hands have been wet helps. I also use it for any lubrication my gear needs - zippers, squeaky points on the pack, stove bushings. It also will help heal chapped lips that have gone beyond Chapstick.
-mort
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Troutdog 59 »

I also suffer with chapped fingertips on longer trips. Not sure if its just my sensitive skin or what, but I always carry some kind of heavier hand cream or balm. In the past I used a Norwegian brand of a heavy hand cream, but I cant locate it any longer so I've switched to using a Bees wax hand balm. I always thought it was due to my liking to fish and my hands constantly going in and out of the water, but in truth I have no real idea why this happens.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

This would normally be so far off my radar, but it caught my attention and so I figured I would throw in. I used to set a lot of tile and finish a lot of concrete.

I'm assuming that the Norwegian hand lotion you're talking about is Nivea. If that's it, here's where you can find it in the Clovis area:

https://www.google.com/search?q=nivea+h ... e&ie=UTF-8

Neutrogena also makes a "Norwegian formula" hand lotion, and that should be pretty much available all over the place.

There's also O'keefes, which leaves your hands feeling slightly waxy, but works really well:

http://www.okeeffescompany.com/

And then there's also good old Shea Butter.

Finally, auto parts stores are a good place to find things that do the job too.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Burts Bees makes these tiny tins of waxy ointment that's perfect for this. I take a heavy lotion like Eucerin, and a tube of petroleum jelly (vaseline). The jelly/ointment makes great fire starter, but also it's what docs tell you to apply to superficial skin breaks of any kind after cleaning/disinfecting them, it keeps bacteria at bay. It also seals up dry skin cracks. Put on a pair of nitrile/nonlatex gloves for further protection and to keep the lotion/ointment from rubbing off.
Another good option - Bag Balm - Lanolin, petroleum jelly, made for dairy workers or anyone else with really chapped hands.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I did have a tube of ointment that was similar to some that was recommended for moisturizing and protecting a new tattoo several years ago. It is petrolatum based and includes lanolin among other ingredients. It was way too greasy (didn't absorb into the skin well at all) and also didn't prevent the cracked finger tips. I've had Neutrogena before and might try that on my next long hike.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

My hands don't suffer so much...but my fingernails do. I can't remember the last time I went backpacking and didn't suffer from a cracked or broken fingernail. Normally not a problem, but I am classical guitarist in my spare time, and I usually lose about a week of practice time every time a break one on my right hand...sigh
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

I returned from a trip last week and my finger tips are just now healing. Painful raw cracks on the tips of the fingers making it difficult to do anything involving finger dexterity and it only happens when I backpack at altitude so.... I'm thinking it has more to do with altitude and less about the use of moisturizers during a trip.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

nivea i the little can or jar, not the lotion the cream.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein