New JMT Fastest Known Time

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

New JMT Fastest Known Time

Post by fishmonger »

I met two guys on the trail this August who looked like they were going for a new FKT record, tired, more or less no gear, moving fast in places you don't see people without larger packs. None of them seem to have broken the previous record held for 4 years by Andrew Bentz of 3d 10h 59m 40s

Aurelien Sanchez did the whole thing in 3d 3h 55m 10s, Whitney Summit to Happy Isle (the actual JMT) in 3d 0h 45m

https://fastestknowntime.com/fkt/aureli ... 2018-09-14

with the record now being just above 3 days, I can see others shoot for a sub 3 day JMT proper in the coming years.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: New JMT Fastest Known Time

Post by balzaccom »

Gosh does that not sound like fun.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Wow, this is very impressive and also somewhat crazy. Out of the gate, he climbed Whitney in ~3 hours from the portal. Also, it appears he didn't carry much gear. . . Aurelien's quote: "I decided to not take much with me, and keep walking at night to stay warm." I can understand the utility of this choice, but it also seems dangerous to me. Sierra weather is usually predictable this time of year, but I've learned to never count on it.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

:rolleyes:

Not someone I'd want to hike with. Not that it would happen if we tried, he'd leave me in the dust in seconds... Whatever floats yer boat.
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Post by RichardCullip »

Impressive feat of endurance. Wow.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

If that's their thing, good for them. A tremendous feat of endurance and suffering, but when you really stop and think about how it would break down on a daily basis for most people, assuming these guys took no real breaks for sleep in their times, and figuring that an average JMT hiker is doing an 8 hour day, that 3 days, 11-ish hours works out to just a little over 10 days worth of normal hiking. That's still an impressive pace, but given what it undoubtedly took, and that it's doubtful that he/they got anywhere near the amount of enjoyment out of their surroundings as people that take their time about it, it's not really all that impressive in its meaningfulness.

Welcome to the race course. They set a record, but let's hope that they also didn't set a new precedent...maybe a bad one. But, I guess that if everyone starts rushing through it, more good campsites and less impacted areas for the rest of us that actually want to take the time to be in it and enjoy it...just don't get in their way.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

I suppose if there's a record, someone will try to break it. Not for me. I hike to enjoy the beauty of the Sierra.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

mrphil wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:24 pm...given what it undoubtedly took, and that it's doubtful that he/they got anywhere near the amount of enjoyment out of their surroundings as people that take their time about it, it's not really all that impressive in its meaningfulness.

You're projecting. I suspect you're mistaken even about yourself and you would in fact find it very meaningful if you had done this.

How enjoyable it is for the person is a more difficult thing to gauge, even when it is about yourself (which this is not). There are different types of fun and what that means to someone depends on when and how you ask.

All that said, I find the speed thing gets boring as it matures. Unless there is a quantum leap it ends up being a continuing whittling down of the time. I don't doubt that these guys get rewards for their effort and suffering. But it's not a spectator sport and, like most hiking trip reports, it really isn't all that interesting even to read about. Sure, someone will go under 3 days (the supported record is already well under that time), but it's an arbitrary barrier.

But I wish I were able to do this.
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

longri wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:47 am You're projecting. I suspect you're mistaken even about yourself and you would in fact find it very meaningful if you had done this.
I would agree with that, to some extent. I give them their due, and don't doubt that if it was "my thing", I would be walking on Cloud Nine. I hate to revert to the tired "hike your own hike", but is this what most people are looking for in the way of "meaning" when they consider their personal values of what's the most important takeaway in their hiking experience? I'm not there to race or compete for records. Some are. Great, and if they've found their passion, kudos, but I personally wouldn't even bother to set foot on the trail if that was the case. I find it more about maintenance of my soul than about my speed. I can only react and assign value to it as me, and at the risk of projecting, I can only imagine that my needs aren't that far off from what the majority of JMT hikers hope to get out of it. For those, while it's a point of interest and amazement, is there any great overall 'meaningfulness' to it within the scope of how they relate and will now alter their own ambitions and goals to follow suit? A few might, but in a broader context, I do very much have my doubts. The raison d'etre will not be redefined by this anytime soon, if at all.

Is it really any different than what motivates some PCT hikers to go for entirely personal reasons of self, whereas others just see it as a new venue for a big party? Everybody gets something, but what that amounts to is completely up to them.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

mrphil wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:19 amI hate to revert to the tired "hike your own hike"...
It is a cliché but it remains valid.

mrphil wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:19 am...but is this what most people are looking for in the way of "meaning" when they consider their personal values of what's the most important takeaway in their hiking experience?
No, obviously not. But speed and other numbers games have been a part of outdoor recreation for many people for a long, long time now. There's nothing inherently wrong with it.