Rae Lakes Wind Advisory - Question

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
blaybelay
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Rae Lakes Wind Advisory - Question

Post by blaybelay »

Hey all,

I have permits for the Rae Lakes loop Friday to Tuesday. Unfortunately I'm seeing 75 mile winds in the forecast. That seems pretty damn excessive to me. Would rangers even allow us into the park with those conditions? Anyways, I have a healthy fear of tree fall after doing Iva Bell a few times and seeing what high winds did to that area. Am I being paranoid? I've been backpacking for years but I've never seen 75 mph winds. I was up the Big Pine South Fork a few weeks ago and the forecast said 30 mph gusts and that was crappy by itself.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Rae Lakes Wind Advisory - Question

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I do not know where you got your weather information. The NWS forecast, just now, at the location of Glenn Pass, shows 45mph gusts. The higher winds are for the Owens Valley side. As for trees that fall, that is a concern even in lower winds. Simply choose your campsite wisely. Give yourself enough time to find a wind-protected campsite (not wise to try to find a site in the dark). The high temperatures are going to be low, so the wind-chill could be significant. These are not summer conditions; be sure you have clothing suitable for those conditions and that your tent is wind-worthy. You may want to put on some extra ties and bring more tent stakes. It certainly is NOT going to be very warm. You can always turn back if conditions get ugly.

The Park Service does not close the park or restrict backpacking permits due to weather, unless it will significantly affect the front-country (roads and campgrounds) or presents a significant fire danger. Backpackers are expected to evaluate risk themselves.
blaybelay
Topix Novice

Post by blaybelay »

Weather.gov is where I get my info. I find it to be fairly accurate.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... 5qX0M5KiCg

Saturday is when we'd be going over Grays Pass and its saying gusts of 75 mph.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

If you are on a pass or a peak, yes, winds are a huge concern. Hiking up high on a ridge, yes. Shoulder seasons can be this way. Extra layers, extra tie outs and stakes, and awareness of your surroundings are paramount. I've changed a route several times in the middle of a trip because of the wind - it's definitely not a good time to do Whitney, for example. But I would still go - in fact, we are going, into the Yosemite high country this weekend. Choosing a campsite in a sheltered location without widowmakers (standing dead trees) and having wind proof clothing (windbreaker or rain shell) will be our tactic.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Look at it on the bright side. With wind like that there won't be many mosquitos.
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

on my trip last month the forecast for the first few days was in the 20-40 mph range, but it was dead still or blowing so modestly that you wouldn't even notice it for the entire six days that we were out there. i'm not sure what my point is exactly. 75 mph certainly sounds very unpleasant.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... 5rLjknn-70

This is what I looked at. The "click" is on Glenn Pass. I clicked a bit east and west, and never saw a 75mph wind speed.
Last edited by Wandering Daisy on Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blaybelay
Topix Novice

Post by blaybelay »

Thank you everyone for getting back to me. I think we're going to hit the first leg of the trip to Junction Meadow on Friday and see how things go Sat morning. If it's to miserable or dangerous we'll head back.

If anyone has any ideas for car camping and day hiking spots in that area let me know. I'd like a good backup plan. Thanks again!
Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:46 pm https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... 5rLjknn-70

This is what I looked at. The "click" is on Glenn Pass. I clicked a bit east and west, and never saw a 75mph wind speed.
That's good to know. 45 mph isn't to bad I think. We'll see what happens!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Use the following site to see when and where the strongest winds are expected, and they are forecasted to be strong. Going over Glen Pass in the morning is highly recommended, the earlier the better, winds are strongest 12 pm on, into the afternoons, Thur-Sat.
https://www.windy.com/-Wind-gusts-gust? ... ,m:eKgacTM
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org