Waugh Lake area end of Sept.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jborvrnut
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Waugh Lake area end of Sept.

Post by jborvrnut »

I'm doing a 3 day loop from the Rush Creek trail head and was planning on staying at Waugh Lake the first night, Thousand Island lake the second and hiking out on the 3rd day but I saw that Waugh has been drained due to dam maintenance. Are there decent spots to overnight above and or below the dam? I'm assuming that above would be better given they are storing construction equipment below. Or are there any alternatives to the Waugh area? I have 4 people going with me including 2 who have very little experience but they are in good physical shape. That being said, I wanted to keep the mileage around 6-7 miles each day so it doesn't feel like a forced march to the newcomers. Thanks in advance for your help and or suggestions.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Waugh Lake area end of Sept.

Post by balzaccom »

Seems like I remember some nice cascades on the creek flowing into Waugh Lake---might be some good camping there. And there are certainly some sites below the lake along the creek...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
valeofoakland
Topix Acquainted

Post by valeofoakland »

If you're bringing newcomers up from Rush Creek, I suggest starting as early as possible. It's a tough, exposed haul up to Gem Lake...

I recall there being lots of potential camps just below Waugh along the river.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Welcome to HST! :)
Why not start from the River Trail via Agnew Meadow and come back via the High Trail? There are permit left Mon -Thur (24th-27th) of Sept, and then Sun-Thur (30th-4th) of the first week of Oct? 7.3 miles would have you arriving at 1000 Is Lake the first day, and nowhere as tough as the Rush Creek Trail and much more scenic, especially the High Trail on your way back. :)
Just remember the road down to Reds Meadow closes 10/9.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular

Post by oldhikerQ »

i second Mav's suggestions. Just got back from a trip using the Rush Creek trail. Both the High and River trails are more scenic (and less difficult) than the Rush Creek trail. We just chose the Rush Ck trail because it was a shorter way into Marie and Davis Lakes.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost