Rae Lakes loop: Upper Paradise Valley bridge damaged

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Rae Lakes loop: Upper Paradise Valley bridge damaged

Post by robow8 »

They didn’t. They said they crossed where the bridge used to be.
blaybelay
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by blaybelay »

Hey guys, just bumping this thread to see if anyone has made the river crossing recently. I'm heading out there this weekend to do the loop counterclockwise and don't want to be stuck at woods creek 3 days into the trip. Any info would be great! Thanks all!!
BigMan
Topix Regular

Post by BigMan »

Last Wednesday I crossed on a tree right near the Upper Paradise Valley campsites. The creek was also very low and crossable.
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.
blaybelay
Topix Novice

Post by blaybelay »

BigMan wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:27 am Last Wednesday I crossed on a tree right near the Upper Paradise Valley campsites. The creek was also very low and crossable.
Thanks BigMan!! I've got the Fiance going on her first big backpacking trip. Everything else has been 2/3 day stuff. Making sure things go smooth so she wants to keep doing it! Much appreciated.
songsta
Topix Newbie

Post by songsta »

do you cross the river where the bridge is damaged twice in order to complete the Rae Lakes loop?
blaybelay
Topix Novice

Post by blaybelay »

songsta wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:23 pm do you cross the river where the bridge is damaged twice in order to complete the Rae Lakes loop?
No, depending on which direction you go in you either cross it on your first day or your last day. I'll be going counterclockwise which means I'll cross it on my last day.

edit: After thinking about it, if you are a slower hiker you may hit it on your second day or your second to last day. Either way, going counterclockwise you hit it at the end of the trip and you don't want to be unable to cross and have to turn back and do the entire loop backwards again.
caddis
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by caddis »

To update a previous post, construction is put off another year

"Bridge washed out along the Rae Lakes Loop
The South Fork Kings River Bridge above Paradise Valley washed out during the winter of 2016-2017. Construction of a replacement bridge will not begin before 2020. Depending on conditions, crossing the South Fork of the Kings River can be extremely hazardous. Observe conditions carefully and then evaluate the risk of crossing. Be prepared to turn back. If you hike the Rae Lakes Loop beginning from Bubbs Creek, plan for the possibility that you may have to backtrack to safely reach Cedar Grove. While we can not forecast exact conditions trips attempting to cross this area may not be possible until sometime in July."