Mt. Russell and the Wall of Death

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Good job, both of you! I like that . . . Rock Hell! :lol:
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

Yes, Rock Hell indeed, although don't tell Mr. Bob R. that.

Kathy -- 13 hours doesn't sound bad at all. It took me 1-1/2 hour to get across the Russell ridge, but the part that took forever was the sand gully up to the summit plateau. It was kind of nice starting from UBSL, since at least I was rested before I started the hill.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Larry

- By the way that "other route down" does sure sound like hell. I've gone the wrong way a number of times and ended up in the wrong chute but I've been lucky and haven't ended up in a spot where I can't go back up or traverse over to another chute. I'm glad you made it down okay.

Kathy
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Wow!!! :eek: What an experience! I guess you didn't have any other options, but that was a pretty amazing save!

Nice pictures.... You too, Kathy!
peninsula
Topix Regular

Post by peninsula »

quentinc,

That is a spooky story and yes, very similar to my near-death experience when going over the Miter. I know the feeling when dangling by one hand thinking the big sleep is only a moment away. Great save!
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Kathy..A big Congratulation on Russell! Thats so awesome..I know you have been wanting to get to the top of her.

What a beautiful mountain :D
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Anita - it is a beautiful mountain and one that I'll go back and do again - it isn't often that I want to repeat a climb, but that East Ridge was great - it's just too bad that approach is such a slog.
TonyC
Topix Novice

Post by TonyC »

Isn't Russell the one that snow-nymph turned back on during her first attempt because of the exposure? That always stuck in my mind because that means it would probably be FAR beyond my comfort zone. Quentin's tale just adds to that apprehension.

But... I suppose all of you worked up to it through many hikes and perhaps I would conceivably do the same...I only have two Sierra hikes under my belt at the moment and they were both Class 1, so it would surely be a long road. Well, I will add my congrats to Kathy and to the others who summitted...great job, and you know I always enjoy the pics.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Tony: Russell is exposed Class 3 and the climb along the east ridge isn't to be taken lightly - one wrong move and you're dead - it took me a couple years to get the courage to go up and try it. It also took me two trips up to do it - the first time I just went to Carillon and looked at it and the second time I actually went up and did the climb. That said, it is a beautiful mountain.

Kathy