Military boots for heavy backpack trekking

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
smut
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Military boots for heavy backpack trekking

Post by smut »

Hi, so I want to buy a new pair of hiking boots for heavy backpack travels.
As an Ex-military soldier I spent so much time and marches with Belleville 300 combat boots.
These boots were very comfortable to wear, waterproof and has a great thick Vibram outsole.
Obviously civilian quality boots dedicated for hiking would be a better option for travelers.
I searched for the best brands such as Asolo, Salomon, Merrell, Lowa etc.. And they come with a price tag.
The military boots can cost nearly half the price, and I used to wear them alot, so I have no problem to buy them again.
After a quick look on the internet I noticed there is a big selection of military boots and brands like Danner, Bates.. Rat boots, tactical boots,lightweight boots, hot weather/temperate wheather.. etc..
I'm looking for a quality leather boots for heavy backpacking with Vibram outsoles, waterproof, durable for leg protection, help to avoid slip, and reliable boot that will last long enough.
If you fimiliar with military combat boots, I need your advices.

Thanks in advance
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Military boots for heavy backpack trekking

Post by maverick »

For the price, and since the Belleville's already are a good fit for your feet, which is the most important thing, I would stick with them.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mrphil
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Military boots for heavy backpack trekking

Post by mrphil »

You're used to rucking with much higher than average backpacker's loads, and if the Bellevilles worked, consider staying with them, but the weight and steel toes of the 300s aren't going to be necessary. That said, if you're ready for a change and want to stay in an AR 670-1 compliant boot, we've been really pleased with the Garmont T8 Bifida, or if you want something lighter, the Garmont T8 NFS. Both are running about $140-150.

Also, a lot more people are switching from boots to trail running shoes, which can often run over $100 for a pair of good ones. In a civilian boot, I've always been a big fan of Zamberlan, but they're going to run you north of $300.