Hiking boots and smashed toes

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Hiking boots and smashed toes

Post by quentinc »

My Montrail Moraines are not long for this world (they've basically been held together with duct tape my last 2 trips), and to my regret Montrail doesn't make them any more. I probably have the world's hardest feet to fit -- narrow heels and wide, splayed toes. Not only do I find that the toe boxes of most boots are too narrow; they are also too low. I just tried a wide version of Montrail's Torre GTX, and while it was plenty wide, my left big toe was aleady fighting with the roof of the toe box.

I can't imagine anyone else has my weird foot configuration, but any suggestions on boots (fairly heavy duty) with roomy toe boxes would be most appreciated! Thanks.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Quentin,
I think everyone goes through the agony of finding boots that fit and hold up under duress; frankly, I too had a pair of Moraines, and they were great on trail, but I did not like how they performed offtrail or on snow. So, my replacements were La Sportivas that I got at A16 (in leather, I think they also have a mountaineering variety that's more of a composite). Although I don't have the foot shape problems you do, my wife is more problematic and after I raved about the La Sportivas, she got a pair and loves them. It took inserts and messing around with socks to get a cozy fit, but it was worth it. I bought a backup pair so that I'm at least covered for a while once they discontinue this model (whose name I forget, but they were the heavy duty version).
good luck,
cgundersen
TwoFortyJeff
Topix Acquainted

Post by TwoFortyJeff »

I too have a narrow heel and wide toes. I have tried on probably 20+ boots and only a few fit. Even then I got blisters after putting on some miles.

My fix was to use non-goretex trail runners. Even then it was hard to find the right one and I still got some blisters. After 250 miles my feet expanded and to this day I have no feeling in one of my toes.

I know this doesn't help you much, but good luck and let us know when you find something that works.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Thanks all. Jeff, I've considered going the low-top route, but I'm afraid of rolling an ankle. Also, I tend to carry a lot of weight.

As for Sportiva, I've read good things about the Trango and will try that. I'll also try Asolo Fugitive if I can find them. Oddly shaped feet are such a nuisance. Even with my Montrails, on my left foot I had to wear an extra sock to stabilize the mid-foot, with the end cut off so as not to scrunch my toes. A real nuisance to put on, but it worked.
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

quentinc, I am a woman with similar foot issues - a regular width heel but wide forefoot. I've found that Garmont builds shoes (at least the women's shoes) with this shape - I can buy a regular width shoe that will fit my heel but won't scrunch the rest of my foot. I discovered them about two years ago and my feet have been much, much happier. I'm a light hiker/trailrunner wearer, but they probably follow the same fit style with their boots. If you can find them it would be worth trying them on - the problem is that it is hard to find Garmont in stores. Now that I know that they fit me, I'll buy them online whenever I find them on sale (I have a stockpile of them in my closet!)

Another suggestion is Injinji socks. With wide feet, toes are sometimes pressed together and I'll easily get blisters between them. These socks (seamless with individual toes) seem to be the solution. I just got back from finishing the John Muir Trail and I'm happy to report that I didn't get a single blister with the Garmont/Injinji combination.
munmile
Topix Newbie

Post by munmile »

Have been wearing Montrail Namches for months, highly recommend them. Supposedly, they were developed for thru-hiking and are super lightweight. One thing though on dusty trails they will allow the passage of superfine dust into your socks. I mean like talcum powder fine. I wear a single merino wool injinji toe sock per foot and the combination allows completely dry, dust lubricated feet on the longest hikes. You will be washing your feet and rinsing socks every night. 55 miles in 5 hiking days w/ 50 lbs not even a hint of a blister.
frediver
Topix Regular

Odd Man Out

Post by frediver »

My foot shape is like yours, narrow heel ee wide at the ball of my foot and toes. The only boots I have fount that fit very well are Combat or Tactical boots. The last pr. I purchased were hi top 5.11 tactical boots and they fit like a glove. They are a running shoe style with a hi top, great support and comfort, very little break in was needed.
L.A. Police supply often has boots on sale. They have a web site, try google.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Frediver, I found an LA Police Gear website selling 5.11 boots. One model even comes with a bloodborne pathogen resistant lining!

Did you have a chance to try yours on first or did you just blind luck into them?
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

I ordered mine blind.
If you have never worn Combat boots before I would recommend looking around a bit and trying some on. Brand is not to important now in the test phase, they will fit/feel differently than you are accustomed to. Combat/Tactical boots have never failed me. I'm sure you must have a uniform shop nearby, try
them then order. L.A. police supply has some great sales.
You could also check the 5.11 web site for local dealers to check out.